The new FWD Mercedes

Most MB drivers I know are leasing them and don’t know which wheel drive the car is. If you put the MB logo on a Ford, they will still pay the premium with it and they would claim that the car drives/handles better than any other brand.

The new CLA, CLS, CL, and S classes all off 4-matic versions of the AMG cars.

You mean they don’t? I’m shocked! It’s been a good many years since any one car was the world standard foe excellence, but you’re right that some drivers still insist on a Mercedes and nothing else. I had a Guatemalan friend that would only drive diesels Mercs from the seventies. They were pretty tough, but he was a terrible driver and kept wrecking them. I kept hinting that something newer might be safer, but he thought otherwise and didn’t live long enough (liver cancer) to test his ideas thoroughly. He’s one of those drivers I kept having to make excuses not to accept rides fromq. He and my ex-hairdresser, who only drove Pontiacs. I finally talked him into a Vibe and he agreed that it was the best car he’d ever owned. I didn’t have the heart to explain it was really a Toyota, not one of his beloved Pontiacs. Last I knew he was in distress about having to finally buy something else if he ever wrecked his Vibe (he had already wrecked one.)

The CLA looks more like the new Mazda 6, the way the grill is

I’m sure Mercedes would love to hear their baby looks like a Mazda. Of course, it’s a very beautiful Mazda, actually better looking than the CLA. And a lot roomier overall. The pattern of shiny metal diamonds on the CLA grille looks bettet in person than in pics. It’s a very striking design. On the whole it’s a pretty little car, just badly lacking in rear seat space from the swooping roofline. Oddly, even the dinky Hyundai Veloster is more comfortable in back. It’s not awesomely wonderful, but my six-foot body can fit back there with nothing bumping. Can’t say that for the Merc. I think most CLA buyers will be women, either childless or empty-nesters. The. AMG variant will interest some men, but I expect most will find it too cramped. But Merc’s traditional values of sturdiness and comfort should appeal to many women buyers. They won’t care as much that you can’t fit a six-footer in back.

I’ve seen one or two CLA’s out in public and they are very nice looking cars, but it’s a choice of style and prestige over a Fusion or smilar mainstream sedan with leather and other nice toys. Of course Mercedes will move the C class up in size and price a little to make room for the CLA which grabs the attention with it’s baby CLS looks.