The new "affordable" Bentley Flying Spur

Porsche is one of those brands where you can double the cost of the car on options if you really want to. They’re up to $13,000 for custom colors, never mind the costs for a custom interior. I made a screenshot of the window sticker of the flying spur from the dealer’s website. Screenshot_2021-02-27 2020 Bentley Flying Spur - Bentley Seattle

The idea of paying extra for a particular color is something I cannot wrap my head around. On a mainstream vehicle, such as a Toyota Corolla, people would not agree to such added costs. Whether I want my car to be red or blue or silver or black, or any of the other available colors shouldn’t really increase the production costs very much, if at all.

BTW, my preferred car colors are silver, dark grey metallic, maroon, red, champagne, and light blue metallic…in that order. I would not pay extra to have a car be silver, for example, versus white or black, even though I very much prefer silver over those other colors.

2 Likes

Especially if the extra-cost color is one that induces nausea in many people!

Those are also my preferred car colors. Back in 2011, Subaru had relatively-limited color choices, and because I wanted a black leather interior, I had to settle for light blue metallic paint, even though I wanted burgundy/maroon paint. Now that Subaru has begun to offer more diverse options, it looks like I will be able to get my preferred maroon/burgundy color with a black or gray leather interior, rather than the off-white color that I do NOT want.

Then you had better not look at the Corolla ‘build your own’ web site. Blizzard Pearl is an extra $425, two-tone is $500 - $925.

1 Like

I don’t remember how much exactly but it was an upcharge on mom’s 2010 Prius, the only white offered, she would have gone for the light green or blue had they offered those that year.

What’s stoppin’ you? I met a guy awhile back at the vintage races at Road America. Had a 1988 CRX that he raced for fun. Guy was 85 and showed no signs of slowing down (heh) any time soon.

I think it’s Rolls that has a 5-figure option where they will poke holes in your headliner and put little fiber optic lights in there so you can have your own starfield as you drive.

I think I’d pass on that option. :wink:

The Bentley engines (and even the Bugatti Veyron’s 16-cylinder engine) had their roots in the VW VR6 engine. Here’s a recent story on the W8 and W12:
The Rise and Fall of VW’s Radical W8 and W12 Engines, Explained (thedrive.com)

The Starlight Headliner was a $12,000 option a couple years ago on the Phantom, I’ve seen it done on one of the shows on the Motor Trend channel to a 60’s Ford Van that they were building for a client. Still a ton of work though.

1 Like

Wow, over a quarter million dollars for a…CAR! I can think of things that are both less expensive and more fun!

2 Likes

The plane probably holds its value better, Dad’s boat was about $75,000 not including the Honda 225hp outboard and electronics (The dealer bought mostly finished boats from a canadian company and did the electronics and engines in house, it’s built like a tank so more of the money is in the way it’s built than how fancy the interior is. It’s over an hour to drive to the state park where this picture was taken, a 10min cruise by boat.