CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

The Honda dealer quoted 1400 and changed to 710 for my service

My 97 Honda Civic has 89,000 miles and needs

a new timing belt and water pump…

what should this cost along with the normal

major service items?

$600 to $1000 dependent on your locale in the US.

I agree. The price varies with location, but $1,400 is seriously high. We don’t know, however, what other “services” the dealer was trying to tack on to generate additional profit.

I’d suggest you get a price from an independent mechanic. You could save some money.

Your post appears to be pretty fuzzy from my perspective without knowing the locale and having the amounts broken down.

A 90k miles service is a major service so it’s possible the 1400 could be legitimate depending on exactly what is being done. Details please.

What is your question? The original quote was $1,400. Then the dealer dropped the quote to $710. Does the lower quote get you all the same services or were some items dropped from the service order to lower the cost?

I had a timing belt and water pump job on my Toyota Sequoia for $600 including tax. They replaced the old coolant with new, and put on a new serpentine belt included in that price. A timing belt job similar to this should be less on a 4 cylinder car.

Your $710 quote should get you similar services but other stuff like flushing brake fluid, etc. could increase your bill. I don’t have a 97 Civic service guide so I can’t tell what services are recommended at 90K.

Take the car to a couple of mechanics and/or get some phone quotes for the same services and select who you want to do the work. I got 2 quotes from Toyota dealers and 2 from independent shops and choose the local independent shop based on the quote and his reputation.

I got this same work done on my 98 Civic at Goodyear for about $550 last year (timing belt, belt tensioner, and water pump). This also included a new crank shaft seal. Yours will probably be leaking oil and should be replaced at the same time if it is. I had a 10% off coupon, so you might have to pay about $600 if you don’t have a coupon. Check their web site to see if there are any coupons and get some quotes from some other non-dealership mechanics. Shopping around can save you money.

Why go to the dealer for this service?? The car is 10+ years old. Find a good independent and have them do it. It should be a LOT cheaper then what the dealer will charge.