The CTC and the new cartalk.com

@_@

I can be logged in again…for now anyways <_<

with just this account, or your others?

I didn’t try #2 this time, just this one. Even before today, it’d log me in, then ask me to link my accounts, then tell me it couldn’t find the username/email/password I put in. Today, I didn’t have that problem

cdaquila, I got a new hard drive for my laptop and I am having that problem with the uploads again. I am now getting a steady 120kbps download speed, up load I.m not sure of. I tried another program called TenFourFox7450. This is a version of FireFox that runs on the older Macs, the latest version of FireFox will not run on the G4 processor based Macs anymore.

The TenFourFox did give me a report, something to the affect of a "hang’. This problem gets worse around 5 to 6 PM when I’m guessing that cell phone traffic is at its highest. It’s 5:30 right now and what’s above is the most I can post at one time. Yesterday at this time, I couldn’t even post one sentence.

Not a new poster, but created a new name. Is it working? I really want to write about Car Talk Staff suggestions. I have sent in a million good suggestions, but never see them on line, or hear them on the air.

Car Talk should have an permanent posting thread for Personnel Recommendations. e.g. Today I thought of a good candidate for Car Talk Al Qaida Dog Catcher: WARREN TERRIER.

cdaquila, I think I have found a pattern. It seems the longer the thread gets, the harder it is for me to post. In the thread about is downshifting bad, I cannot even post a single word. also, that page does not completely load. It seems that it stops at 39 of 41 items and cancels the loading at that point, every time.

Well make me a liar. I tried, unsuccessfully, twice to leave a short post to the thread about the 95 silverado with the heater motor air being blocked. Its only two posts long. Then I left two longer posts on the thread about whats wrong with this engine that is two pages long now. Went back to the silverado post and two more unsuccessful attempts.

Hmmm…it’s hard to pin down a cause for your problems. I guess you just keep trying? Is anybody else having these problems?

I am totally frustrated with the new cartalk. The listen online free function is gone leaving only the ipod option ( I don’t own or want an ipod or any Mp3 player ) and when I tried to sign in in the gray box- nothing happened.

oldtimer11, you’re still able to listen to this week’s show for free. When you go to cartalk.com, look along the top menu (underneath the big Car Talk logo in the top left corner) and click on “Listen.” It will bring up a smaller window that will start the player, no downloading necessary. I see you were able to post, so is your sign-in situation resolved?

Here’s a suggestion:

On the search results page, is there a way to put the thread date in the list? You can choose last comment date or thread start date, IDC which, but when you have an idea of approximately when a thread was, and get over 100 results, it can be very tedious to find the specific one you’re after.

The lister button was there, it just didn’t work, the site had a sign in to email "car talk’ but there was no button where it told me there was. Everything is working fine now once I discovered that the title of the show became a link when I got the cursor near it. It now plays when I click on the title after I get the smaller window. It used to play as soon as the smaller window opened.

bscar I am not now who I used to be, I get nothing but trouble so am a newbie. Welcome to the new and improved website. Why did I pick barkydog? Just wanted to be annoying to the powers that control us. woof yip woof yip woofyip!

I’m trying to put a photo (icon) next to my name. Whenever I try to upload a photo it will not fit in the space alloted; way too big even if you try to move it around. Anybody know if there’s a certain size requirement? I can find no info on this other than max. file size.

1. you need a forum/category dedicated to ideas to improve the web site
  2. allow registered users to register all of their vehicles, tirerack knows I have an F-250 diesel and a Porsche 911, why do you only allow one car?
  3. a recommendation for a mechanic, with only one or two references have a high likelihood of being either a shill or a friend/relative; I discount a single happy customer as quickly as a single unhappy customer. You need to encourage more listeners, followers to take the time to register and review their mechanics, being experts of creating incentives for little more than a cheap coffee mug you should have no trouble getting this going.

cdaquila

What happened to the “edit” feature?
As of this morning, I no longer see it.
Does this mean that we can no longer “clean-up” one of our own posts if we discover a typo after posting it?

If the deletion of this feature was intentional, I do not see this as a positive step.

Edited to add:
Whoops!
I just noticed that you have to click on the little gear-shaped icon on the upper right of a post in order to access the edit function. It lives!

Hi VDC, nope…the option to edit hasn’t disappeared. Look in the upper right-hand corner of your post. See the cog-wheel icon? Click on it. It should bring up a drop-down button. If it isn’t there, let me know. It certainly was not intentional.

Carolyn
I think that you responded before I posted my “edit”.
As you can see, I did figure out how to access the edit function.

I always come into the forums under “Recent Discussions” as I’m not picky about which forum I am in. It used to be that at the bottom of thread in the “Leave a Comment” box I could click to return to “Recent Discussions.” Now the only link I have down there is to whatever forum the thread is in. E.g. right now my only choice here is to return to “General Discussion.” Most often, of course, the only choice is to return to “Repair & Maintenance.” I don’t want to return to a specific forum. I want to return to “Recent Discussions.” Can we get that link back?

Currently I have to go all the way back to the top of the page or use the back button. I’d rather not have to return to the top of the page - you know how arduous ctrl-home can be in comparison to a mouse click :wink: - and the back button doesn’t update my views.