The CTC and the new cartalk.com

I think the problem stems from the fact that both your accounts use the same e-mail address. I know we’d at some point disabled the ability for users to have multiple usernames on one e-mail address. Peacefrog/badbearing had had a similar issue. I’m not sure whether my removal of his second account worked or not.

I’ve used a different email address for this account than my old one. I tried the password recovery thing several times, but it came up saying my account was invalid, or something, when I clicked the link in my email; this was before the “upgrade” to the current setup. When #2 was made was when I started having that problem, same with several other users.

Can’t imagine how many potential new forum members have had this problem, only to give up and never return.

Cdaquila

Could you check to see if I somehow managed to create duplicate accounts, and if so remove one.

Thanks.

Hi americar, I’m not seeing any coming up on this end. Are you still having trouble? It looked like things settled down for you in FF earlier.

cdaquila

Changing password does not change the old password that works for logging in, but if I try changing the password again it will recognize the new password in the (change my password) box, but still cant log in with new password after logging out, and have to use the old.

Perhaps the (Change my password) is broken?

Not to be too rough on what MUST be an all volunteer effort, but this web site is a joke.

Try googling terms like W3C, web 101, validator, etc. and maybe you will get the idea.

I ran one page through the validator and got: Result: 51 Errors, 18 warning(s)

ON ONE PAGE!

Granted, most can be chalked up to just typically sloppy coding, but still, if you can’t solve the easy problems …

Ever heard the term “web experience” ? Generally, the idea is, that web browsing should be a pleasant experience such that you will want to return and generate repeat traffic.
In this case the opposite is true. What a frustration.

There isn’t even a HOME tab on any page. That’s web 101 for sure.

I would be amazed if the designers actually used a testing methodology, rather if the page loaded at all in IE or FF, all is well.

EVERYTHING is a mess … Tried to respond to a puzzler today, and all that was there was last week’s episode.

It took 10 page hunting trips before I gave up and had use use the search function.

Navigation is a mess … even trying to get back to this thread was a joke. The only place I could find it was on the home page (but, maybe that was by design ???)

This is just one more example of the “close enough is good enough” mentality that is so pervasive in our society today. They must have burnt all of the copies of the book “In Search of Excellence”

Give up this do-it-yourself project and just hire some people who know what they are doing. This isn’t some personal web site from 1990 built just so that you can say you have a web site.

Geeez …

New error (for me) - IE8 (on Windows XP) is shutting down the page after I view a thread and click on “Recent Dicussions”, doing this about 3/4 of the time.

I’m still having a problem with the uploading my more lengthy responses. Because of the weather, the satellite is not working so I am using the sprint network. even though it is supposed to be broadband, its not that broad. I get between 20-40 kbps up and that seems to cause a timeout problem on your end. It there a window or time slot in your system that stops incoming responses if they don’t fit in in time? If so, could you lengthen it?

Please fix this. I am getting a consistent 40 kbps upload speed now that I have a directional antenna and I’m still having this problem.

I have a question in on the support board about this. I’ll let you know when I get a response.

@Tim:

"@littlemouse I personally wrote it, and it has been the way I sign on to my own forum for over a year. http://vanillaforums.org/addon/proxyconnect-plugin

The problem was unintentional and unforeseen. You seem to be representing yourself as someone who knows something about software, so I’ll give you the rundown."

So you “bought” a product without SSO. Okay, water under the bridge. Thanks for the rundown, it was very clear. I don’t represent myself as anything other than someone who asks questions. If you were trying to sell me this product I would say “Thank you for your presentation.” Since I am not paying for this product, I say “Thank you for your explanation.”

“The problem was unintentional and unforeseen.” I’ll have to try using that. <=== That’s what a snarky person would say. More testing is more gooder. At least that’s what I hear. <=== That’s what a snarky person would say, speaking to a developer and not to another CarTalk Community member.

Seriously, it sounds like a lot of questions weren’t asked and maybe testing that should have been done wasn’t, but, again, water, bridge.

Well, I’ve finally gotten back on the website, but I had to create an alternate e-mail address and a brand-new username to do it. Thar’s the only way I was able to, this website is so messed up that I had to change EVERYTHING. Anyway, for those of you who knew me as “ClassicFan62”, I’ve come back with a whole new identity, but I’m still the same person, now known as “Drifter62”.

FYI, the hard drive in my laptop bit the dust night before last. I am using my wife’s new iMac right now. I had no trouble logging into this site using Safari. I am having issues with the home network, come to find out we are using double NAT but now most of those issues have been wrung out.

Whatever you paid to remake the website was too much! It’s really screwed up. I also had to create a new username but I did use the same email address. Everytime I change screens I get a browser recovery error so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to browse the entries. We’ll see.

Nope, it won’t work with IE for a browser. I think they built the new site for Google’s Chrome browser only. I get kicked out everytime I try to change screens. So much for Cartalk.

To whom it may concern; All seems to be going swimmingly well here, and as the reigning luddite I must express my gratitude to those who run this forum for allowing me to continue to bungle my way through. Thanks much.

Like Rod, all is going great here.

IE had some issues with an addon (provided by Dell), that kept popping to an auto search page. once I disabled that addon, all is well. I’ve completely blocked anything and everything from doubleclick (.com, .net and whatever other .domain I can find). The fact that you guys are using it is quite disturbing, but alas, I’m not affected.

I would add I’m also using fully patched and up to date systems, and browsers, on Win7, Vista and XP.

“Links We Like” is now “Links We Liked A Long Time Ago”

running outta email addresses here :confused:

Well, I was able to get back in by creating a “new” account (which was really my old one, e-mail, password and all). All this new window dressing and STILL no buttons for navigating directly between posts?!?!