The car "chokes" or seems to be almost stalling

I have a question, what happens is when I’m driving along at lower speeds and slow down, perhaps at a stop sign, when I go to accelerate again, to cross the intersection for example, the car “chokes” or seems to be almost stalling. Once I have obtained a steady speed again the problem disappears.

Thanks, I really appreciate your research and assistance:)

Are you driving a '34 Studebaker, a '42 Ford, a '53 Alfa Romeo, a '60 DeSoto, a '71 Dodge, an '81 VW, a '97 Chevy, or an '08 Ferrari? Believe it or not, the type of vehicle really does have a bearing on the responses that you will get regarding possible causes of the problem.

In addition to the make, model, and model year, we need to know:

How many miles do you have on this mystery vehicle?
Did you purchase it as a new vehicle, or as a used vehicle?

Is it under warranty?
What type and size is the engine?
What type of transmission does the car have?

Tell us–in detail–about its maintenance over the past 3 years or so.
What types of repairs have been been done in an attempt to resolve the problem?

And, assuming that the vehicle is not one of the aforementioned old ones–is the Check Engine Light illuminated?

`

Does it have a carburetor, or is it fuel-injected?

This car has apparently been driven an average of about 4,000 miles per year for the past 24 years.
Is it maintained on the basis of elapsed time (hopefully), rather than on the basis of odometer mileage?

Please tell us–in detail–about its maintenance over the past 3 years or so.
What types of repairs have been been done in an attempt to resolve the problem?
When was the fuel filter last replaced?

Is the Check Engine Light illuminated?
If so, what trouble code(s) were found?

`

Sounds like the accelerator pump on the carburetor needs rebuilding. The accelerator pump is designed to give the engine an extra shot of gas when you step on the accelerator. Over time the accelerator pump goes bad and fails to give that extra shot of gas, resulting in stumbling when you try to accelerate.

Find a mechanic who knows how to rebuild carburetors. Preferably an older guy with gray hair. The youngsters won’t know how.

I agree with jesmed that the carburetor’s accelerator pump is likely to blame.
Now, the problem with be two-fold:
Finding a mechanic who actually knows how to work on the archaic technology of a carburetor, and actually finding the parts necessary.

Personally, I would just go ahead and replace the carburetor. However, even finding a replacement rebuilt carb could be a challenge.

Also–since you have only owned the car for a few months, unless you are in possession of all of the car’s maintenance records, you have to assume that no maintenance has ever been done. Unless you can confirm through documentation that this car was maintained on the basis of elapsed time, rather than on the basis of odometer mileage, you should change every fluid, every filter, the spark plugs, and the plug wires at the same visit when you have the carburetor replaced.