The brake pad caper

This weekend I got the rear brake pads replaced. Those bolts would not break loose with my weight on the socket handle. I had to take the torque wrench and set it up to over 100 and use it to break them loose. Disgusting!

Otherwise just like the front ones. But, do I need a floor jack! Can’t wait…

Were the bolts drowned in thread locking compound?

Many times, when brake caliper bolts require extreme force to loosen, it’s because the guys at the factory applied the brush-on thread locker, to such an extent that you literally can’t see the threads

Anyways, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Here’s something amusing, appearing on that “split screen” on the lower right

I’ll just cut and paste it . . .

“Let others join the conversation”

“This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 21% of the replies here.”

“Are you sure you’re providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?”

Okay, whatever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

As you well know, you and I have on occasion growled at each other. But, in my opinion your contributions on this page have been excellent. Thank you very much.

I Googled for: hein-werner floor jack amazon

and got a number of hits, including a master listing at:

The split screen at right says Robot Check. I don’t know if that means the link is rejected or not.

But, it lists an entire page of Hein-Werner. Jacks from $380 to $3400 or more.

No, I checked and that strange link did give the master listing on Amazon. Of course, I am not recommending Amazon over any other source. it is just a quick look-up place.

I also noticed repair kits for the HW jacks. That is cool. Who wants to buy a disposable jack?

I believe this might be right up your alley

http://heinwerner-automotive.com/ProductDetails/Hein-WernerAutomotive/3TonServiceJack/HW93652/523

@irlandes The jack db linked above appears to be the same jack we have two of at work. I’m not sure if the price suits you but I’d recommend that jack to anyone looking for a sturdy reliable jack.

2 Likes

I just checked on napaonline.com . . . and they have that exact same jack, but they call it “balkamp” and mark it up considerably

In the picture, you can clearly see “hein werner” . . . but they insist on giving it their own part number

“I also noticed repair kits for the HW jacks. That is cool. Who wants to buy a disposable jack?”

Someone asked earlier in this thread what was the difference between a “good” jack and a $50 dollar jack. At least one of the differences is the ability to repair them.

I’ve had a floor jack around all my life. My dad was a professional mechanic, there were always tools available. I rode a jack like a scooter before I could ride a bike. When I moved away from home 35 years ago I started looking for my own jack. I was warned off the cheap versions, then made in Switzerland, because when they failed you had to just throw it away and try again. I bought a Snap On jack, and did have to have it repaired some 20 years later for leaking seals, but the point is, it was repairable.

3 Likes

Hein Werner jacks were formerly called “Lincoln”

I’m not exactly sure what’s up with the name change, but they’re still blue and yellow, and made in USA

At work, we had 2 Lincoln floor jacks, a 5 ton and a 10 ton air-assist

We sent them out to an authorized shop for overhaul. When they came back, they had a fresh coat of blue and yellow paint, but now the label said “Hein Werner”

That is the one for $450 at Amazon. That does meet all my criterion! Cool.

I will have to look at the money. At this instant, I tend to think I will go that way, but I have been known to change my mind if circumstances change.

I was actually contemplating a cheaper one, a Neiko Pro, because it is much lighter. But, here in Mexico, there are plenty of people willing to help. On my car place, I can roll it. And, most anyone who would borrow it is strong enough to carry it off. I don’t trust aluminum like steel.

Amazon says it only weights 107 pounds. Up until this year, when I got SIBO, I often helped carry in 110 pound bags of cement. I am definitely in remission, not claiming cured, but am afraid to try the cement at this time. If I can no longer carry 110 pounds, at only 74 years old, I am going to feel very old and beat up.

But, even some women here can pick up 110 pounds and move it. I thought I had read 158 pounds, but that may be shipping weight with a pallet? That would be too heavy for me. The Neiko is under 60 pounds but it is aluminum. So, I do like the thought of this one and at only 107 it is usable.

I did a lot of Googling and found people all over the place. The two ton Snap-on runs around $550, and some say is made by HW. The FJ200 has a higher lift, but I doubt I will ever need that much lift.

I think I need to also get the adapter to protect the pinch jack points on the car. They are cheap enough.
By the way, I got the last pads installed and my first drive was up the hill through the curves. It definitely is much lighter on needed pedal pressure. Of course, with new pads, I would expect that. But, I do not know if changing to ceramic pads also reduces needed pedal pressure. If I get time, I will search for reviews on that topic.

Next time, if there is a next time, I plan to put on racing rotors. Slotted and drilled I think you call them. My son-in-law put them on the 2002 after I complained of brake fade, something I had not experienced in many years. No more fade, for sure.

I’m going to warn you, concerning the jack’s weight

Even though the weight itself is manageable, it’s unwieldy

I’ve carried people in my 2 arms that weighed considerably more than the jack, and it was easy, in comparison

But I imagine any high quality steel 3 ton floor jack in that price range will weigh a similar amount

I just looked at the 2 and 3 ton snap on jacks, and they’re definitely not relabeled HW. If they were, they’d cost even more

Yes, I am aware the jack weight is an issue. But, I think the reliability of the HW jack more than offsets the problem in moving it around. My house is wheel chair accessible, or nearly so on the main floor. Nothing that can’t be fixed in two or three days if we become in need of a wheel chair.

The place where the car is parked is at that same level, as the inside of the house. So, a jack with wheels does not pose a problem, IMO.

Getting it here will require some thought. If I buy it in the USA, a heavy jack will be in my mini-van cabin. In case of a wreck, that could be dangerous. I will have to think at that time exactly what to do with it.

And, as I said, it isn’t hard to find people here to help you if you need it.

1 Like

“it isn’t hard to find people here to help you if you need it.”

Agreed . . . don’t try to lift it by yourself, from your van onto the driveway

I’ve done that, and it’s not that easy . . . again, not because of the weight, but because it’s unwieldy

Yes, though I haven’t done it, I can sure visualize what it must be like, just thinking about it.

But, of course I haven’t done it yet. Just in the planning stages.

Usually, when I am going to move something at my strength limits, I stop and think about it at some length before actually doing it.

1 Like

Well, I did it!

I am back in Texas for a couple weeks. I just placed the order with Amazon. The HW93652
was $499 with free shipping. Was it the right thing to do? I don’t know.

But, sometimes one has to just go ahead and do it. I measure all major decisions as compared to my first m******e. Nothing could ever be that big a disaster. :smiley: So, it can’t be that bad a mistake even if it’s totally wrong.

Once i get it, I need to tie it down somehow for the 830 mile trip across Mexico. The thought of that 107 pound assembly of steel coming at me in a fast stop is not really exciting. I can do a lot with rope. Though Red Green would recommend duct tape…

3 Likes

I think you’ll be satisfied with your jack :thumbsup:

1 Like

I can’t even imagine not being satisfied with it. Which is why I decided to spend that much money. If this is correct, I will never need another floor jack. Thanks

deleted
:smiling_imp: