The big pedal recall

I have a few 1940 Ford gas pedal assemblies that are for sale that were never recalled? I am wondering, I do have a (not an) 2001 Camry which I do not think is on the recall list, but-a, with all of the media attention, they have never said or detailed the problem with teh bad pedals? My car (01) is cable operated to the throttle gear. I am wondering if anyone knows if the problem with all the newer cars in question if the trouble is mechanical, or electronic?? Is is possible that the newer cars have an electronic sending unit that goes to a slave receiver? Is that the problem, or is it a tight bushing in the mechanical problem? I can’t find that answer on the net, if anyone can help thanks, I suppose I will have to call the dealer. I know they are receiving so many calls, I would rather sort this out here, if anyone can help. thanks wc

" Is is possible that the newer cars have an electronic sending unit that goes to a slave receiver? Is that the problem,"

Yes, that’s the problem. Fly-by-wire throttle controls. Apparently, moisture is getting into the electronics. But the ECM is involved too…A real mess…

Whoa, thanks, that was a fast response caddyman! I suppose it had to be so complicated so as to cause the mess as you stated. Thanks wc

The explanation I heard today on the radio seems to indicate a mechanical problem. The accelerator mechanism wears over a few years. If the humidity is high enough, it can lead to sticking. The source was a University of Michigan mechanical engineering professor that was an invited expert on both Toyota and mechanisms.

No, it’s a mechanical problem with the electronic gas pedal assembly. The pedal itself gets stuck done.

No, it’s a mechanical problem with the electronic gas pedal assembly. The pedal itself gets stuck done.

That was yesterday…NOW they’re saying it’s in the electronics.

This is also what I heard. A bushing gets bound up so the throttle sticks. If it were electronic fly by wire then should it not go into limp mode?

Who’s “they?” Everything I read still says a mechanical problem with the electronic pedal.

“If it were electronic fly by wire then should it not go into limp mode?”

That depends on whether the control systems recognizes an error. I don’t think that it would see an error. It recognizes the pedal position and responds accordingly. What if the pedal stuck where it would be during highway cruising, but the throttle was in the same position to accelerate on a city street? How could that be seen as an error by a computer?

I think that he means “if it were an electronic fault wouldn’t it go into limp mode.” On that, he is correct.