Thanks for further screwing up the site!

I just turned on my computer and opened safari. CarTalk opened normally for me and it still “remembers” me, so I didn’t have to manually log in.

My concern is on seeing the links at the top of the page to facebook and twitter. This does not bode well with me. I will not join those groups so please do not make that a requirement to use this site. I’ve seen to many other sites that used to host a bulletin board switch over so that you have to “friend” them on one of those sites to participate.

still having problems with logging into my original account :frowning:

Firefox adblocker no problem, try it!

The site was messed up this morning when I checked it before going to work. It had me logged out and I could not log in. It was telling me I was not allowed to do that. When I got home tonight, I was logged in per usual and everything was normal, except for the new look of the site and forum. I am using Firefox 3.6.24.

For the record, I generally don’t like change, but the new look is quickly growing on me and I do like it the way it is now, especially since I can log in now.

using Firefox now, with no problems. Not seeing alot of links either

Calling it “Beta” doesn’t make it betta. Especially if you only call it Beta on the first page rather than every page. Doesn’t look like the changes were thoroughly tested, and really functionality and design changes should be rolled out separately if possible. Too late now.

I really like that the search field is right under the “ask a question” button now. I suspect it will help deter new posters from starting new threads without finding existing ones. When I first got to this site, I almost didn’t find the search thing before posting.

I’m not peeved that I couldn’t get on for a few minutes today. While I am very ignorant about computering and coding (and cars for that matter), I know its very complicated and full of surprises like this. I think we should all be more understanding.

Like the new layout, no problems using firefox. Hopefully we won’t have as many hiccups as we did last time there was a “upgrade”

Now the search feature doesn’t work. I click “search” and the screen reads “page not found.”

This site is managed as well as the post office.

Are you still having the page not found error? It has been working for me. Anybody else?

Still not working.

Browsers, gentlemen?

Search isn’t working for me. Firefox / Win7.

I might request that people in this thread chill out a bit with the snark. Things happen, and if parts of the site don’t work for you for a couple of days, it isn’t going to kill you or bring about Armageddon.

“Page Not Found
The page you were looking for could not be found.”

I use Google Chrome.

Firefox 3.0.19, Sir.

“I might request that people in this thread chill out a bit with the snark. Things happen, and if parts of the site don’t work for you for a couple of days, it isn’t going to kill you or bring about Armageddon.”

+1
I think that putting things in perspective is called for here.
If hanging out on this site is your main activity each day, then I would submit that you need more things to keep you busy.

In any event, since we all pay nothing for access to this forum, I think that it is very inappropriate to carp about some temporary functional problems as if your oxygen or your food supply was just cut off.

@Shadowfax, I remember, several iterations ago, when this forum functioned without any flaws. It was the efforts to “improve” things that made this site harder to use. In my humble opinion, these problems are unnecessarily self-inflected.

@VDCdriver, haven’t you been around long enough to remember when this forum worked flawlessly, in the days before the red background, when users had rankings based on the number of posts? I was proud to be a member of the “Get a Life Club.”

I always thought Tom and Ray lived by the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy, so I can’t understand why their forum has to be so complicated that it can’t run smoothly. There is plenty of forum software out there what works smoothly, and someone is apparently looking to make a few extra bucks by adopting a low bid product.

@VDCdriver: To further put things in perspective, web applications - enduser feedback = poo.

@Whitey: it looks like the current product is a free product run on that company’s servers. Sounds like you’re saying someone tried to fix something that wasn’t broken.

“I always thought Tom and Ray lived by the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy…”

I prefer Keep It Stupid, Simple. By the way, when’s the last time anyone saw Tom and Ray alive? There could be a whole crazy Weekend At Bernie’s situation going on.

Feedback is one thing. Sarcastic comments in thread titles and negative comparisons to the post office aren’t going to get things fixed any faster.

I’ve been around off and on that long too, Whitey, and I tend to agree that I’d rather have seen it kept more simple, and not running this particular software (I’m more of a fan of phpBB, since it’s free, moddable, and very intuitive and simple while being full featured) but then I’m not footing the bills for this site, and I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes that drove the choice to Vanilla. Until I start paying their server fees, I don’t figure I have much right to be overly obnoxious about what I don’t like. Suggestions are fine. Name calling is over the line.