Thankful for the Tappets

That’s my hope, that when he’s ready, Ray will resurface from his days splurging as a playboy on the sandy beaches of Cuber, as JFK used to pronounce it, and continue the CAR TALK legacy. Ray, not to worry about new material; you can laugh at yourself!!! There’s a lot of humor in that dear, sweet mug of yours! Or, you can just imagine your fans trying to repair their own cars without your advice. Now there’s a scene man.

Well I’m sure many will not agree, but I just don’t think you should try and duplicate what was once a good program. A new program should not try and copy an old format but be its own program. It sure would be fun to have some type of automotive program again though.

Please anything but the Splendid Table for heaven’s sake and the BBC news program. I’m so sick and tired of listening to the BBC and their slanted news I just end up turning it off. But I’m an old Bruce Williams fan that was a mix of financial/business and personal advice and was always interesting.

Old Bruce Williams. Hadn’t thought about him much in years, except occasionally I wondered why i hadn’t heard his voice anymore. He was a sharp cookie.
How easily I forget the incredible achievements of the Apollo Program. Apollo 4 burned 15 tons of fuel every second producing 160,000,000 horsepower. The earth shook like a California earthquake when it blasted off. Some of the engineers thought it was going too slow at first and feared it would topple over. They had to design and build new welding machines to put those babies together. What unbelievable monsters those Saturn Rockets were, those Saturn 5 engines. I bet the Tappets could have contributed some important ideas to that project.

What became of Bruce Williams ? Loved to listen to that reasonable calm persona ,havent really been able to find out anything about him,my favorite Clear Channel station cuts back on its power at 7pm and thats when I get time to listen ,he used to be on that station .Now the only I hear from them is Clark Howard ,Kim Komanndo and Dave Ramesy .

He had a website hawking some of his favorites stuff last I checked some time ago. At any rate if I remember right, the network he was with decided not to keep him on anymore. I think they thought the current low cost scheme with the same program nation-wide on a number of stations made more money for them. So then he said fine, I’ll start my own and ran for a while with his own network. It didn’t seem to last very long though and the struggle was just too much so he just announced he was giving it up. We did stroll by Jelleyrolls on Boardwalk where his son used to play but didn’t see any trace of him. I assume he still has interest in the place.

I remember well he used to say that you could drop him off any place in the country with no money and he’d be making money at the end of the day. He could walk into a business and immediately see how he could make a deal that would make money for both of them through customer service. So many stories and lessons. Suing Chrysler, the frozen flowers on how to treat customers that are wrong, don’t be an occasional pilot, don’t start a business and work a job too or both will fail, a quick nickel is better than a slow dime, work with the masses-live with the classes, and on and on and on. People didn’t always appreciate the blunt truth, but then would you rather be lied to?

Thank you ,have to agree on the quick nickle seen so much stuff lying around depreciating,because people were scared that they might lose a percent ,also I must admit ,some peoples definition of profit is different from mine ,I always considered tools I needed for the job ,a cost of doing business and never really worried about the customer paying for my equipment,if at the end of the year ,I made it into the black ,in my opinion everything is cool and truthfully I do not mind a little competition as long as they are not hogs ,the final shoveful of earth hits us all in the face soon enough,if you die with the "most toys " you still are dead .
I reallly liked "talknet " and I try to please the customer ,they are the reason anyone is in business .

Life’s a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all. It was Steve covey, I believe, who emphasized living life backwards. IOW, consider how you want to be remembered when your life is finished and then develop a plan and execute it step by step based on your end goals.
Death is not a popular topic these days but it comes to us quickly. It makes sense to me to keep the finish line in mind.

I’m having a lot more fun since I threw away the weekly and monthly goals, objectives and time tables. I still have a list but if I don’t get to it today, so what? Ya gotta figure what does it matter when you’re dead? In a hundred years no one will remember anyway no matter what you did. The sermon tonight was on the crumbling tower and don’t worry about it falling down. No fear.

IMHO, a great way to make a go of living life on life’s terms is to be forever a giver without demanding or expecting anything in return. On the rare occasion when someone lives life with giving as the theme in her/his heart, others, over time who are aware of this, find they cannot do enough to show their appreciation materially and in a wide variety of other ways.

One brief example. A man I know devoted his working life and most of his free time to coaching kids. He was an excellent coach producing a record number of wins. He never asked for or sought anything in return from anyone. He was paid a meager salary that averaged about $.50 an hour. When his wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, people of means came out of the woodwork, providing all kinds of support including long distance transportation, regularly, to and from doctor’s offices and hospitals, with no strings.

It’s A Wonderful Life contains some truth for everyone’s journey

Hey Uncle Harry ,remember we literally went to the moon ,powered by "diesel fuel " ; incredible stuff .

Hi - I’m a little lost, but I don’t think this is quite show- or car-related anymore. Would you mind bringing it back on topic? Thanks.

1 Like

But Cdaquila, I was sitting in my brand new 1982 300SD while I made those comments! Yes dear, I’m trying. But Everything I say is so fascinating, I can’t seem to keep my mind on just one topic, you know? I’m tryin. I’m tryin. It is WESW’s fault. She busted my heart in three

What, about the kerosene powered rocket (Saturn 5) ? Kerosene of a good grade will power an old Mercedes diesel , just fine . Please forgive me if I digress .

Harry, wesw is a male poster not a female and you are not amusing .

I am female and hilarious. Thanks for reading my comments, boys. I don’t really intend to be this irresistible. I guess I just can’t help it.

hey!

I m hilarious too!!!

my kid agreed with me…, until she turned 13…

…all of a sudden…, I m not amusing either…

her eyerolling, on the other hand, is hilarious…

Hi are you ok id love to hear your story

I did consulting for 10+ years and it was nothing like that. A consultant is just a short term (temp) employee who usually brings a certain set of skills that they don’t have in-house. Most of the time we work along side the other employees doing the same work 40+ hours a week. Other times I worked as a technical leader on a project - while bringing up the skill levels of the other engineers. The software engineering field changes constantly, and if you don’t keep up your skills you get left behind. Unfortunately that’s exactly what happens to engineers who stay with a company that’s unwilling to keep up with the changes and now after 15 years of stagnant growth they find themselves behind and need to catch up. It’s a never ending cycle.

The pay of a consultant is better, but you don’t have medical, and don’t get paid for any time you take off. For a single guy it can be lucrative. For a family who’s wife has a career and has good medical benefits (like mine) it can be very lucrative. If you have a family and wife stays at home then it’s not worth it. Family medical is just way too expensive outside of a group plan.