Testing Costco's Kirkland Full Synthetic Motor Oil

I have never heard of Warren Oil Company, but I have apparently used their products since I use SuperTech oil and automatic transmission fluid. I have always bought whatever oil was cheapest, but when it comes to the oil filter, I always buy a quality brand name.

apparently I was mistaken

Warren Distribution Inc manufactures Kirkland Signature synthetic engine oil

Warren Distributing Inc supplies many of the parts on our fleet’s warehouses

Extremely similar company names, in my opinion

I checked, and they each have their own websites

And a few across this country decided to have in person church services anyways. I guess they needed to buy a new Jet.

4 Likes

As a non-petroleum engineer, or any engineer at that including software and sanitation, I’m just wondering how you can tell if an oil is any good or not? Without some kind of analysis or laboratory report, just by looking at it or how the engine runs? Years ago my experience with Pennz that every engine I looked at inside were coated. I didn’t experience that with Mobil. So how do you really evaluate one oil from another by just “trying it” and not disassembling an engine or getting lab results? Just curious.

I hope you had a wonderful marvelous day anyway.

Just look for one of these symbols on the container.

If it’s there, it’s good.

Testet

3 Likes

there are some formal tests, like in this old article (heavily promoting Amsoil brand):
https://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/articles/amsoils-big-competitors/#.XpToh3IpAUE

if you use this article not to buy into the final Amsoil sales-pich (which is quite questionable with their recommendations for ultra-long OCI), the rest provides some good points on test types and typical numbers

I understand the certification labels and testing but the comment was I might try them to see. What’s to try then if they all meet the specs? I’m not going to. I’ll just continue to pay more for Mobil 1 even though they all look the same.

Tester

We did. Our church did the sensible thing and had remote mass. They decided that peoples lives are more important then the money they collect on Sunday.

3 Likes

Good to know. I have to add that the “Dexos” specification is required for all late GM vehicles 2011 and up. Probably other manufacturer brands as well.
Is the Supertech oil marked for the “Dexos” specification?
I might add that not all grades of Synthetic even within the same brand will carry the “Dexos” label. Even Mobil1 for some reason that escapes me.
I’ve been a strictly Mobil1 user since 2004 and I’d like some options. I make certain that I buy the oil with the “Dexos” label for my own peace of mind. The GM owner’s manual specifically requires “Dexos” oil.

And recently, Dexos for all GM vehicles for the number 4 spec.

I looked for more information Re: “Dexos”.
Here’s what I found.
Dexos engine oil specification is designed by GM Powertrain engineers and is intended specifically for GM engines. … All vehicles produced in and after 2011 are stocked with Dexos oil and are recommended to be used for the life of the vehicle .Aug 3, 2013

One more reason I don’t buy GM vehicles

Special motor oil.

Tester

Better oil. Same price. What’s not to like?
It took me years to go from Havoline non- detergent SAE 30 to Havoline HD SAE 30 detergent oil. Then more years before I joined the multigrade bandwagon.
I jumped into synthetic type oil almost immediately. And the “Dexos” as soon as I learned of it.
Speaking of special oil, Almost every maker uses Dexron ATF . Another GM product.
Only Ford used the Whale oil based ATF for a long timeafter Dexron was introduced.

Is it actually better oil for all vehicles? I doubt it. My 09 Focus is pushing past 205k and has been doing fine with 5k mile changes with 5W-20 synthetic. Never put dexos-spec’d in it and it’s been just fine :man_shrugging:

I’ve been using synthetic in my SUV’s for about 20 years. My current SUV (14 Highlander) requires it. The reason I used it in my other SUV’s was for towing in the summer and winter ski trips where temps can easily be -30 in the white mountains.

My wife’s cars don’t need synthetic so I’ve been using regular dyno oil. 1987 Accord - sold at over 330k miles. 1996 Accord - at over 250k miles gave to niece. She sold it after college with over 350k miles. 2007 Lexus ES-350 now has over 250k miles and runs perfectly.

Two questions.

Is synthetic oil better then conventional oil? - Yes
Is synthetic oil NEEDED? Probably - NO

2 Likes

Agreed, my Focus doesn’t actually require synth but I use it anyway.

My question I was asking @FRANKM is whether Dexos is actually “better oil for all vehicles”. What is exactly spec’d different about it vs normal synthetic that makes it a better oil? (I spent a little time on google, but only found GM’s useless site proclaiming it’s excellence without any proof to back it up)

I think it’s up to the user. But GM does require Dexos in all cars from 2011 and up for warranty purposes. They don’t specify a brand. Just the Dexos spec.

First time ? @cdaquila - What is with the system that does this multiple screen names for the same person.