Terminology: turning over vs. cranking vs. starting

@NYBo Por supuesto! Se hablan Espanol y el idioma de Tejas!

Uff da!

I would argue that there is no “correct” use of the terms under discussion. It’ll vary with regional differences as well as with individuals.

As regards the use of the terms by a layman, to me it’s analogous to myself attempting to explain my aches and pains to a medical professional. I may be more versed in anatomy than most are in car terms (only because of a rotten health history), but it’s still a struggle for me to explain things. Part of a practicing physician’s necessary skills are to ask the right questions to get the information they need from someone who doesn’t know their colon from their elbow. That should be part of the automotive “service consultant” job description too, but in my experience most of them are just clerks with limited automotive knowledge.

A mechanic really needs this issue clarified because “Cranks but won’t turn over” and other hazy methods of phrasing it just muddies the water; a lot.

Clarifying things like this is what a service advisor or manager at the desk should be doing long before the repair order is dispatched to a mechanic.

This carries over into all other areas and if a SA or SM is going to draw a paycheck surely they can devote an extra 30 seconds to extract a few details about a complaint.

One time I was handed a repair order that stated “Transmission Shifts”. WTH does that mean? I handed it back to the SA with full agreement that a transmission really does shift and the one in question either does or it doesn’t. I’m not going fishing in the parking lot

To make matters worse, this guy couldn’t even clarify the complaint so he had to call the customer.
Yet more of my time being wasted for free
 :frowning:

Think of starting as electrical. You hit the key and it goes tic. Cranking and turning over come from the fact old engines used cranks (mechanical power). So “it will crank - chuchuchu” but won’t turn over. So when you hit the key and it makes that chuchuchu sound it would be the same as hitting that old timey crank. I think the confusion comes from having to physically crank it for it to turn over.

Not to continue this 7 year discussion, but when you turned the crank, you are turning over the engine. That’s why you turn the crank. If it then doesn’t start, you turned the crank but failed to start. It turned over but didn’t start. I don’t know why this is even an issue for discussion.

Cranking and turning over are the same thing. They are both what happens to the engine before it runs on its own.

It’s hard to say. There’s just so much ambiguity in car-repair terminology. For example I was reading a repair manual the other day, and it was referring to a drawing. None of the parts the text referred to in the drawing were named the same on the actual drawing 
 lol 

I started this discussion 7 years ago, and evidently the terminology is still a source of confusion. The comments from mechanics who couldn’t get their service writers to describe their customers’ issues clearly were interesting. Communication is always a problem, and moreso when people can’t agree on the definition of basic terms.

It’s only called “cranking” because we used to start car engines with a hand crank. Old steam engines had holes in the flywheel where you could stick a long bar for leverage to turn the flywheel to get it into position to start. This was called “barring” the engine and a smaller steam engine used to turn over a large steam engine was called a barring engine. On large diesel and gas engines used in stationary power plants, a geared down motor that slowly turns the engine to a position for valve adjustment or for replacing/removing the bolts that hold the flex plate to the flywheel is called a barring motor.
(36) Barring Engines In Steam - YouTube

ICE engines need to turn over (aka crank) in order to start. It’s the beginning of the starting process. As the engine turns over all the internal mechanical parts are working
(valves opening and closing in time with the Pistons going up and down. At the end of the compression stroke the spark fires and for the engine to run on it’s own. It may take a few cycles to get enough power to start running on it’s own.

I believe the confusion in terminology comes when someone says “The engine won’t crank.” Now does that mean it won’t start or it won’t turn over?

To alleviate this conundrum, I’d like to offer the following redneck terms I’ve heard. “The engine won’t light.” We know this means it will not start, yes? “It just won’t fire.” Again, very clear. Lastly, my favorite, “It keeps turning over but it just won’t bust off.” Perfect description of the issue! Thank you, Cletus.

Heh heh. The service manual says “cranks but won’t start” as one of the diagnostic charts. It’d be fun to see “cranks but won’t bust off”, but then that might refer to someone taking sledge to the thing. Wouldn’t start so busted the thing off. Of course I prefer proper English and would say “broke it off”.

“Burst off”. Doesn’t have the same ring. Buddy of mine whose folks owned a fleet of diesels and played with cars all the time was where I first heard the term. We were working on some engine, I don’t exactly remember. I was in the seat, he was underhood. “Try to kick it over once, but don’t let it bust off.” Say wha?

Those examples you used weren’t all that bad, although they could use some improvement

At least it seems the starter and battery are in reasonable shape, and the engine isn’t locked up

That’s at least better than “cranks over but won’t turn over” . . .

More information is better

Using the correct terminology is also better

Those are my thoughts, for what it’s worth

Trying to figure out just what the customer meant could potentially cost the mechanic some money . . .

And I do believe it’s the service advisor’s job to try pretty hard to give the mechanic a repair order that’s worded coherently

Yeah, I was trying to interject a little humor.

Probably failed.

Had a worker who would say cut it on or cut it off for starting or stopping a car, or lights etc. It is cold outside so I cut it on for you, saw your truck was running so I cut it off.

I enjoyed it. I think I’ll start using bust off.

1 Like

Stopped at the lumber yard this afternoon. Cranked it over and it busted off for the drive home. Now down the road was a patrol car waiting to really bust you off. I’m law abiding, usually.

A patrol car laying in wait on the first day of the month? That would be very unusual here. I rarely see them before about the 20th of the month. Haven’t seen any at all today. I saw 3 the other day though, the end of last month.