Tell us about your First Car

My first car was a 1959 Morris Minor. The original 948 cc engine had been replaced by the 1100 cc engine from an Austin Healy Sprite. It needed brakes and a clutch. I waited one day too long to replace the brakes. A rear drum split along its circumference when I applied the brakes. I borrowed a friend’s dad’s garage to replace the clutch. I had to do the job overnight and be done before he opened for business in the morning. After I sold that car, I didn’t own another car for 10 years, relying on a bicycle.

I suppose technically my first car was an '84 Tercel hatchback. It was dad’s car, and he was going to give it to me. I was already driving it before he was going to sign the title over on my birthday, and then an idiot ran a stop sign and T-boned me. So I actually owned my first car for negative-six days.

I spent most of college without a car because I didn’t really need one as long as I had a bike. Then close to graduation I bought myself an '88 CRX. It was a rusty old piece of junk, but man was it a fun little go-kart to drive. So naturally when it died permanently I parted it out (still have some of the parts) and bought a 1991 CRX in almost mint condition. I still own that car, though I haven’t driven it in something like 15 years because it needs a new engine.