Tell us about your First Car

'87 Toyota Pickup, bought when I was 45, still my only automobile.

1 Like

1984 ford tempo. Given to me free used from my father when I was 16 or 17. I was on my own for insurance, repairs, etc. I drove it without insurance for several years. I would buy the cheapest policy, get the card, then never make the payments. The cops just looked at the card but no way to verify it. I did very little maintenance or repairs, just enough to keep it running. I drove it the last year with a broken cv axle or something that banged against the floor whenever I braked and totally beyond bald tires. It went to the scrapyard in the early 90s.

sometimes I feel this way…
Adam Sandler- Piece of S*** Car(song) - YouTube

sorry in advance if it offends anyone.

My first car was a 1947 Pontiac 6 cylinder Streamliner fastback. I bought the car for $75 in 1962 when I graduated from college and needed transportation. The car didn’t come equipped with turn signals. I bought a turning signal kit from Montgomery Ward and spent an afternoon installing them.

1 Like

Mine was a 1963 Rambler American with a flathead 6 and an E-Stick transmission, a three-on-the-tree with a vacuum operated clutch. You took your foot off the gas to disengage the clutch. Mom and dad paid $300 for it the summer before I started college since I wouldn’t be able to walk to school any more. I totalled it the following January, driving on ice for the first time.

my grandfather had a early 60’s rambler. I can’t remember the year but I remember the front seat would go down to the back seat and turn into a bed. that was kinda cool. then he bought a 69 ambassador

Okay, I joked about the DeLorean.
My first car 1960 Dodge Dart, 2dr sedan, 318, automatic.
Bought it before my drivers test, I wanted an automatic for that rather than taking it with my parents manual transmission car, though I could drive it without trouble.

My first car was a brand-new '71 Dodge Charger SE, with the base 318 V-8 and Torqueflite automatic trans. It was a beautiful shade of bright blue, with a black leather bucket seat interior. It proved to be rock-solid reliable, even though the gas mileage was very poor (by modern standards).

I was able to begin my car-owning history with a new car because my father wisely counseled me to drive his car (a '66 Ford Galaxie 500) to work for a couple of years and to save as much money as possible. Because Dad commuted to his NYC job via public transit, he didn’t use the car during the week, so on weekends I had to rely on friends for transportation when we socialized, but this was a small price to pay for being able to establish financial stability. Because of my father’s wise counsel, I was able to pay cash for that first car, and for every subsequent new car.

1 Like

At least some old Ramblers did have reclining seats but mine didn’t. It was a 2 door so the seats folded forward for access to the back but IIRC there was no release because they didn’t even lock in place.

Reclining seats depended on year&model. My parents had a ‘50 Nash Statesman, not only did the seat backs fully recline there were flip out supports to hold the seat backs in alignment with the rear seat cushion. We slept in the car while camping. My brother bought ‘67 Ambassador, those seats reclined but seat backs rested on the rear seat.

Back when I was growing up, all through elementary school, my parents sent me to school once a week with a small envelope with money in it. It went to the teacher to make payments on a life insurance policy on my life through Gerber baby foods. Fast forward to 1968. My grandfather had died (my grandmother had never learned how) so my parents got his 1959 Chevrolet 4 door, 283 and powerglide. They also had a 1965 Chevelle Malibu station wagon with a 230 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree and 4.11 rear end. The aforementioned life insurance policy had matured and my parents apparently needed a little cash (the matured value the the policy was about $900.00) so they gave me a choice between the '59 and the '65. Since I had driven both and the '59 was slower than all get out, I opted for the Chevelle. Traded it in 2 years later for a '67 Volkswagen.
About 2 weeks later my uncle visited and brought a 1963 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible, 260 V8 and 4 speed. Wished I’d kept the Chevelle, would have loved to had had the Falcon, life happens.

1957 Karmen Ghia I bought for $50. Battery not charging. Bought a new regulator for $6 and fixed it.

The original 36 HP engine had been replaced with a 40 HP so it was a real speed demon! Had a petcock with reserve rather than a fuel guage but it did have a nice big clock. It would get 35 mpg, not bad for the time. Sold it several years later for $400.

My first on the road car was a 1964 Morgan 4/4. We bought it in not running condition. It was offered to my father for $250, The owner was getting divorced and had to get it out within a week. After towing it home it took my father less than an hour to get it running. It is a pretty simple design, hand built in England and ALWAYS in need of attention. And a blast to drive, it was like driving a big go kart .50 years later after sitting idle for about 45 of those years I am doing a frame off restoration

bjensky_142908 I was going to tell about my 1950 Chevy but it would be like bringing my date to a dance after you’d brought Marilyn Monroe. Wonderful story, wonderfully told. Thanks.

I also paid cash for my first car ($75 for a 1950 Chevy) and every subsequent car, but none of them have ever been new. Believe I could afford to buy new now, but feels better to buy mechanically sound used cars, pre-dinged for parking lots everywhere.

1 Like

I like the pre dinged quote like you I have never had a new vehicle but if I ever did I would worry until it got the first scratch or ding.

My first car was a HS graduation gift - a ‘66 Rambler Classic 2-door in Seafoam green. I painted "Cruisin’ Classic" in script across the back. It had a little Mopar 232 engine, and who knows where the rest of the parts came from. I worked at a Montgomery Ward catalog store with an auto department, and it spent a lot of time in the shop. I referred to the mechanics as my pit crew. The gas gauge didn’t work, so I’d have to write my mileage down when I filled the tank, then I’d fill it every 100 miles. Finally the transmission went out and I took it to a tranny shop for repair. They had it for weeks and must have taken it apart and couldn’t put it back together again. It was messed up so bad it revved and slipped every time it shifted. I finally had it hauled away for junk. But I sure learned a lot about cars, repairs, and maintenance by owning a car that was so unreliable.

1 Like

My first car was a 1964 Datsun Sedan four door. I traded a motocycle and cash for it! The vehicle lasted about 6 months the engine just was worned out too many hard miles, so living on a ranch I pulled the engine and order a overhaul kit from JCWitney catalog and purchase some tools from a discount part store can’t remember the name now! I used a large tin tub to put the engine in and scrubbed the engine clean then dissassemble it put in the kit micro-guage the crank bearing found one spot which needed work used emery cloth to sand it smooth and reassembled it. Because of the flaw in the bearing the engine would only last about 3k miles before it would start to knock then sold it as is and bought a 1964 Buick!

Steve, please do not let “Marilyn Monroe” intimidated your date. She was not a very good dancer and if you ever listened to her rendition of "Happy Birthday Mr. President, she was not a very good singer either…

Tell us about your 1950 Chevy. “Enquiring minds want to know”

In 1950, I think there were two styles, the Fleetwood and the Styleline. I’m not sure if they had even started naming the models yet like “Belair, Biscayne, Nomad, etc…”

What engine, transmission did it have, was it a 2 or 4 door, did it even have a radio or heater? Did it have a split windshield, did it have a sun visor, there are so many things “Enquiring minds want to know…”

2 Likes

One of those cars I would like in my stable, a 49-50 Chevy two door fastback, actually any of the GM fast backs.