Talk me out of running 0w30 in my Ecotec3

I think you are better off buying mobil 1 at walmart rather than the dealer parts counter. Details are a little fuzzy now but it must have been 14 years ago, had a new acura and were in grand rapids heading to new york. The car was under break in and i wanted a quart of oil. I stopped at the local acura dealer but they did not have the full synthetic acura oil. I think it was blended. Told me it didnt matter. I guess i bought it but dont know if i ever used it. Put a quart of mobil 1 in the trunk when i got home. I guess i was more concerned than the dealer was. Maybe toyota oil is special but i dont buy acura or honda oil.

All depends on what you are paying for it at the dealer, every time I have checked, Walmart Mobil 1 0W-20 has cost more than the Toyota 0W-20 oil, when I buy it on sale, I can get it shipped to my door for under $35.00…

With sales tax i think i paid about $35 for a five quart jug or about $7 a quart. Not getting any cheaper. With a filter and plastic drain plug getting pretty close to $50 for an oil change with my free labor.

Acura/Honda use a synthetic blend, full synthetic oil in optional. Dealer stocks Honda brand oil, were they less concerned than you?

This was on the 2012 but guess i figured full synthetic was better and for less money. Dont know what their current prices are.

Sorry, forgot to mention that was for a case of 6 quarts, and the Toyota oil filter cost under $5 ($4.28 6 months ago) to my door, so under $40.00 for an oil change using all Toyota parts… :smiley:

0w-8 seems to be considerably more expensive than, say, something more common, such as 0w20 or 5w30

Costco doesn’t yet stock it. Probably not enough demand just yet

Wait a few more years we will be running 0w0 oil or why not negative viscosity oil.

Heck maybe engines don’t need any oil at all!

Im tired of fuel economy at cost of reliability!

BJ’s around here carries 0w8. It was the same price as 0w20. I’m amazed Costco doesn’t carry it yet. BJs has a very limited supply of oil.

I just looked up BJ’s . . . thanks for the recommendation

None anywhere near me

As I mentioned earlier, Autozone has sales for 0w8 . . . at least they did about a month ago. O’Reilly’s also had sales for 0w8. That may no longer be the case, for all I know, with the volatile situation

Even though my wife’s Crown recommends 0w8 - I use 0w16. My new Highlander recommended oil is 0w16. The engine in wife’s Crown is the same engine as in the Rav4 and my new Highlander. Both those vehicles recommend 0w16. Just easier to keep one oil around.

Costco doesn’t even have 0w-16, btw :laughing:

I was just at the BJ’s near me.

They have Mobil-1 and Mobil Full Synthetic - and I have no idea what’s difference.

The ONLY weights they sell are 0w8, 0w16, 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30.

Mobil 1 is Exxon Mobil’s flagship premium tier line of motor oils, whereas Mobil Full Synthetic is their budget-friendly, entry-level tier… While both bottles are technically full synthetics, they target completely different price points and performance specifications…

Talk about a niche market!

Is Mobil 1 C40 GT their version of a halo product? I suppose tf it’s the same base stock and only additives make it acceptable for Porsche GTs, then Exxon Mobil could make money on it.

Porsche partnered with Exxon/Mobil to supply oil for their performance vehicles, seems fitting that Mobil should offer the same oil to the public.

This is from the Porsche USA web site:


Mobil 1 Supercar 0w40 was designed for the Corvette. I suspect it could be used for other cars. The formula is different enough from Mobil 1 0w40 ESP which is mainly used in European vehicles.

911 GT3 models have been available since 1999. Wouldn’t they require the C40 oil?

I would have been less surprised if it had been advertised for all Porsches. The GTs are a small fraction of those.