0W-16 in 2023 Lexus RX350h

Where does one find 0W-16?
Is this so that one pays an exorbitant price for oil from Lexus?

Many stores like walmart,AAP,O’Reilly,Autozone,NAPA,Amazon,Rock auto,Ebay or any equivalent on your area.

2 Likes

Lots of places, Google is a good place to start.

Thank you. Never noticed such. Being unusual it would stand out to me.

1 Like

+1
While they do not have a variety of brands for 0w-16 oil (Mobil-1 was the only brand on the shelf when I looked) Walmart does sell that oil.

1 Like

Thank you.
When did 0W-16 come out?
Should it be used in our 2021 RX350 with 100K? Owners Manual calls for 0W-20.

From tire review:
“You may have noticed that some Toyota and Honda four-cylinder vehicles require SAE viscosity 0W16 oil. The oils really stand out on a shelf because the last number is strange because it does not end in a five or zero. 0W16 oil has been around for almost two decades in Japan. It is an oil that is designed to increase engine efficiency and reduce engine warm-up time”

As far as your 2021, probably best to stick with the 0W-20, experiment if you wish.

I was surprised that my 2020 Mustang turbo four uses 5W-30, whereas my 2013 F150 V8 uses 5W-20.
Neither consume any oil.

1 Like

Turbos can be a bit hard on oil and oil temperature. The 5.0 has a 8 or 9 quart pan that provides better cooling than the turbo 4.

And then there is the fuel economy angle… the 5.0 needs the improvement more than the 4

1 Like

That was my thought too. I noticed the oil in the turbo four darkens sooner. Driven relatively gently, very rare going to 5000 RPM. Truck rarely going over 3000 RPM. Only oil use was in mountain driving, 5&6 gears (6speed auto) locked out due to a lot of steep downgrades with sharp turns. Only use 1/2 quart including a ten hour drive to the mountains.

1 Like

You will find it in the last place you look . Now stop with oil threads and go by the owners manual like a normal person just once .

1 Like

I look forward to buying a car that uses 0-16. Cash? Nice.

1 Like

I was just at WalMart the other day pickup up oil for my Highlander. WalMart had it just a few days ago from several different manufacturers (Mobil-1, Castrol, Penzoil, Quakerstate…).

1 Like

What would be the purpose to switching to 0w-16? That makes no sense to me.

My Highlander calls for 0w-20. I went the other direction…I now use 0w-30. Little thicker when oil is hot compared to 0w-20 oil when hot. Both act the same when cold. I’ve only seen 0w-30 in Mobil-1. Castrol does make a 0w-40 though.

1 Like

Wondering if Lexus would have specified 0W-16 were it available here when the 2021 was made.
With 102k shall continue with 0W-20.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to use anything thinner than 0w30, never mind Toyota’s CAFE chase.
I might get some 0w16 to put on my hair clippers. :grin:

4 Likes

Ha! Our Robocut® vacuum cleaner hair cutter is oiled with 0W-20.
Vacuums hair into an adjustable-length tube and cuts it. Perfect, layered hair cuts!
Not one strand of hair escapes.

Going thinner can reduce engine life. Using 20 weight instead of 30 weight already does reduce engine life. Toyota engines have tight tolerances and can still last a very long time with 20 weight. Synthetic oil is supposed to have a higher film strength so you can use a little bit thinner oil when using sythetic. But the required 0W20 is already sythetic isn’t it?

How does this new thin oil that was first available in Japan reduce engine warm up time? Heavier oil would make it warm up faster.

Is it possible to get SAE 16 or SAE 20 weight oil? People in warm climates don’t need to use multiweight oil. It is less forgiving to over heating and negelected oil changes. It is possible that 0W16 is actually not a multi weight oil, but a synthetic oil that behaves as a multi weight oil when the ##W## method is used to measure its viscosity. The ##W## method was made for traditional mineral oils. This is why SAE 30 oil does not exist in synthetic. It’s impossible. It would be something like 14W30 if it was synthetic.

1 Like

Assuming thengines are the same as in Japan, which use 0W-16, now that we have 0W-16 in the USA, also use it here. And Japan’s median temperature is higher thahere.

Many opinions, zero facts. Most wrong or inapplicable, I believe.

1 Like

That is not consistent with the evidence. Todays engines using thinner oils last longer than yesterdays engines on thicker oils. That would make you think the thinner oils make for a longer lasting engine, but there is a lot more to the story than the grade of oil.

Metallurgy in todays engines is superior to engines of the past. Oils have improved in many ways over the years. Unless you can get two fleets of identical vehicles, one using a 5W30 and the other using 0W20 and do a long term test, you cannot say that the heavier oil will make the engines last longer.

To some people it seems logical the thicker oil will protect better, but there is a lot more going on in the engine. The thicker oil might protect the engine better if it wasn’t running, but once the engine is running, the thicker oil has more drag. More drag, more friction. More friction, more heat. More heat, quicker oil breakdown. Quicker oil breakdown, more engine wear. More engine wear, shorter life.

I agree with you on this. I think the engineers really meant that with the thinner oil, you could get underway sooner as it would lubricate better and have less drag at colder temperatures. Something got lost in translation by the marketing department.

Yeah, they really do because you are still talking about a 100 to 140 degree rise in oil temp as opposed to a 140 to 200 degree rise in cold climates. To the oil, it is only about a 25% difference. In warmer climates, a 5W20 should work just as well as a 0W20 does in cold climates. But 0W20 is plenty good in warm climates.

4 Likes