Takata airbag recall by VIN #

I guess I’ve got too much time on my hands but for fun I was reading some of the complaints that owners filed on the Acuras. Now I know why I don’t want to deal with the public anymore. One complaint was that the guy’s daughter drove away without the key fob and two hours later shut the car off and it wouldn’t start. Duh. Safety issue? Then another had chips on the rear door and quarter panel from rocks being thrown up that Acura refused to pay for. Clearly a product defect. Then of course one person had a ball joint failure on a 7 year old car and considered that a defect. Then another one wanted the seats replaced on his 08 Acura because they were coming apart and yet another one that hit a pot hole and bent a rim and ruined a tire after 7 years.

So I guess if you bring a car in with a problem, have some patience with the dealer if you really do have a problem.

A lot of car owners never receive letters even on vehicles they purchased new. As a dealer mechanic I’ve sometimes mentioned Recalls to customers who had their cars in for various other services with the intent of helping them cover their Recall bases and to pick up a little extra labor time for a car that’s already in the service bay anyway.
Many had no idea there were any Recalls out on their cars at all.

A Subaru I owned and which was purchased from the dealer who sold it new had 3 outstanding Recalls on it and I never saw a letter on it; or for that a matter a letter on any car I’ve ever owned except for one letter on my Lincoln in regards to a faulty cruise control switch.

I actually kept that letter in my scrapbook of misc. cxxp as it came across a bit humorous.
The letter advised me to not park my car in a garage, near the house, trees, shrubs, or other structures which could be set on fire if my car decided to catch on fire.

Not so funny really. My BIL is a died in the wool Ford fan and had one of his Fords in the garage. Caught fire on its own and dang near burned the house down from the attached garage. They were living in a hotel for about 6 months. I don’t think they ever really determined the cause but I always suspect that faulty switch or one of the others. Quite a few years ago now though.