Tail Lights won't work

I have a 1999 Toyota Solara. The tail lights won’t work. I checked and replaced the bulbs, and replaced the fuse, and the fuse blew as soon as I turned on the lights. Is there anything else I can try before the big bucks enter the picture?

Thanks!

The problem might be with the rear light monitor module. This is what lights up the icon on the dash that indicates there’s a problem with one of the rear lights.

This module is located behind the left trunk panel and is a plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Remove the module and then remove the cover to expose the solid state circuit board. If you find any burnt components on the board that’s what’s causing the problem.

Tester

And if that is not it, fuses blowing mean that you have a short in the wiring someplace which is two wires together. Start at the bulb sockets and follow the wiring to them looking for any damaged wire. More than once I have had wires that for one reason or another dropped down on an exhaust component and melted together. Most of the wiring now runs inside the car from back to front but if you have any exhause issues and the wiring runs over it, have a look see.

fuse blew as soon as I turned on the lights.

That sounds like a short. Try following the wire from the lamp back towards fuse. It likely is between the two.

Thank you for the info. I will give it a go.

Barb

Thank you!

Thank you!

If you have a wire harness for a trailer check that out.

Thank you, thank you. Every piece of information that I receive regarding this issue is valuable and worthy of checking! I appreciate all of the suggestions!

Barb