Tabs or cats

I’d never go on a long bicycle ride without my smart phone. I don’t use it for navigation. I’ve got a bicycle Garmin for that (great device), but I hit a rough R/R crossing once (I believe my rear tire was lacking a little pressure, prior), and that pinched the tube and I was immediately walking a bike with a flat tire.

It was before I had a usable phone and I walked that thing all around Sarasota asking strangers where a bike sop was, most giving me bad information, a shoulder shrug, or spoke in a foreign language (tourists). Next, I was standing at a stop waiting to board an S-CAT public bus (bike rack on front and I always carry $20 for emergencies). I knew the driver could drop me at a bike shop and I had money for a tube. A woman at the stop said, “If that’s all you have is a twenty, you won’t get change, just bus vouchers/tokens.” I would have no money for bike repairs…

Back on foot, I finally found a bike shop several miles, later. I bought a tube, and to save a few bucks, I installed the tube in a couple minutes in the parking lot.

To make a long story longer, now I carry my smart phone, and change, and a tube, and I have AAA Road Service. AAA promptly does bicycles, now! They’ll take me and my bike to a shop.

I talked to one of the AAA Road Service guys at his truck on Anna Maria Island one day to ask if he’d ever serviced a bicycle? He laughed as he informed me that he gets called to a lot of Snowbirds’ homes/garages to air up their bike tires when they migrate back to Florida. :laughing:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

@old_mopar_guy has said he’s from Brooklyn. But cursing isn’t limited to the east coast. I’m half Minnesotan by way of Hibbing and know many cursed in the mines, and beyond. :wink:

It’s a neighborhood jn Brooklyn, NY where i grew up.

2 Likes

In Michigan I pay $330 per one year for registration for two cars (not each). It can be be burdunsom for low income. Granted the poor probably would not have 2 cars, but my point is that it is expensive in some states. Don’t get me started on insurance though.

1 Like

Sure they do. In fact I know several people who own TWO. One is personal and the other is the company’s they work for. At my company we pay for EVERYONE in the company’s phone plan through Verizon. They have to buy the phone at a very good discount (iPhone -12 for $100). But we pick up the bill for their plan with unlimited data. We’re a small company and 99% of our employees are engineers or managers. The other 1% are office help and warehouse and few technicians. So we decided to pay for their plans also.

Using the smartphone when only on WiFi is a good idea for those who don’t use their phone much or who are afraid of technology (so many out there)…or who just don’t like change. And let’s not forget the tinfoil hat crowd who think Covid is transmitted over WiFi towers. At the other end are people like me who when WiFi isn’t available I can use my phone as a Hotspot so I can connect up to the internet with my laptop. This is getting less and less, but there are times I still need it.

GPS is probably the biggest use I get from my smart phone after Mail. I am really liking the more integration my car audio has with my IPhone via Apple Car play. My aftermarket audio system has built in Pandora and Spotify. I use Spotify a lot. The sound quality is very close to CD quality. It uses the Spotify app on my phone. My audio system has Spotify app built into the audio system so I can use the steering wheel controls to access and control it. So much easier then fumbling with my phone to set it up to listen through system.

and here I was during one of the wonderful blizzards we had sitting outside in my hot tub!

The sheer power of Mother Nature can bear is truly spectacular sometimes…I remember driving home from the Shenandoah Valley after a camping trip through the rain from Hurricane Irene (I think it was Irene in 2011…it’s been awhile!). Even though it was probably only a Cat 1 or Tropical Storm by that point, it’s not fun dealing with that volume of rain and wind. At one point I pulled over under a bridge when I saw a bunch of tractor trailers pulling off to the sides of the road too. You’re right, they can be a great warning system to watch!

I’m a Bay Ridge boy, originally.
Howdy, neighbor!

1 Like

In this whole thread I see most people complaining about how the DMV operates in their state but I don’t remember anyone saying anything about a grace period in my state the tag’s expire on your birthday you get a bill in the mail about six weeks before the new tag is due and can renew by mail online or in person starting thirty day
day’s before your birthday.

That’s what NH does. I’ll get the bill in the mail a few weeks before due date. Last year was the only time I did by mail due to Covid. I can do everything at town hall and it takes me about 20 minutes.

1 Like

Hibbing? Never heard of it. :grin: Oh, you mean Bob Dylan town?

In MO there is the yearly registration/ license fee paid to the state. St. Louis County, where I live, also levies a yearly personal property tax on all vehicles which is considerably higher than the state registration tax.

So just to own a car the vehicle owner pays a sales tax on the purchase price, yearly licensing tax, and yearly personal property tax. If the owner sells the car the sale price is taxed as income. So, as I presume is typical in most if not all states, car owners are taxed for buying, owning, and selling a vehicle.

In some states those taxes are higher than in others depending on each state’s tax laws.

When I moved to MO and went to register/license my car that had been bought, titled, and taxed seven years earlier in NJ and six years later registered/licensed in OK, the twit at the privately owned franchise MO license bureau office insisted I had to pay sales tax on the original purchase price in NJ plus seven years penalty interest for not originally titling the car in MO at time of purchase. I refused and demanded all my paperwork back. I ended up having to snatch all my documents out of her hand and stomp out the door.

I barely got home when police showed up at my door saying they had report I was driving a stolen car and had committed assault. Thankfully the cops listened to my side of the story and looked at my documentation. I was asked which license bureau location I had gone to. Turns out the police were familiar with that franchise office running that profitable scam on many people new to the state. The officers were quite professional and nice. And they told me of several other license office locations where I could get my car properly licensed without hassle or scam.

Fast forward one year and I got pulled over on my way to work for expired car tags and given a ticket. Turned out the state DMV never sent a renewal notice and I had failed to pay attention to the tags being expired. So, I had to miss a day of work to get the car safety inspected at the mechanic shop, emissions tested at the state emissions facility, go to the license bureau to renew registration, and to the police station to show proof of all that, then to the government center office to pay the ticket.

Further fun was had when renewing the license at the license bureau. Seems I must have the renewal notice never mailed from the state in hand to be allowed to renew. That took an hour of the bureau calling the state and tracking down that the state never input my car licensing info into the state computer system the previous year when I first registered the car in MO. Finally, I was allowed to renew but had to pay a penalty for being late renewing.

After all that, when I got to the county government center office to pay the ticket the twit there tried to levy a penalty for not paying the ticket a month earlier. That required my demanding a supervisor look at the ticket and note the Very Clearly Written Date and Time the ticket had been issued several hours earlier that day for having license tags that expired a month previously. I ended up properly paying the ticket with no additional penalties.

Somehow I managed to remain courteous and business like throughout the infuriating fiasco both years but had steam coming out my ears to the point that both years the twits I dealt with complained they didn’t like my angry stare.

The ONLY people in both years fiascos that proved courteous and competant were the police officers. I remained courteous and cooperative with them and they treated me with courteous professionalism.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I went to renew my drivers license. Due to alopecia (an autoimmune condition) I permanently lost most of my hair many years ago so I wear wigs or decorative scarves. The young twit I had to deal with that day happened to know I wear a wig due to her having seen me in the grocery store many times when I was wearing a scarf. The idiot insisted I had to take my wig off for the license photo. That is one time I lost my temper enough to royally tell off a twit; not just for me but for all women needing to wear wigs due to chemo treatments, or alopecia, or simply due to thinning hair.
Fortunately the license office franchise owner/manager intervened and let me keep my wig on. Otherwise I would have marched out and gone to a different license office.

Those three experiences have left me with a decidely negative viewpoint of dealing with car and drivers licensing in the “Show Me” state of MO.

Frankly, getting to deal with a very professionally run temporary DMV state run license office this last time renewing the car tags was a refreshing exerience!

Something like that would have made me move out of the state I had something similar happen to me many years ago

1 Like

Now we all know Dylan, during his “college years”, lived in Dinkytown. I was only 10, lived three blocks from his apartment.

Ah yeah, Dinkytown. Best malts ever at the Bridgeman’s. Oh I drove there for lunch, and right by Mama Rosa’s Italian place if I remember her name. Started the food fund but don’t remember what she called it. Great lady.

Something like that would have made me move out of the state. I had something similar but not as bad I moved from Florida to South Carolina I went to the tag office to get the SC tags they asked for my insurance I showed them my Fla insurance card they said that company was not licensed not to sell insurance in SC [but it still covered me as long as I had the Fla tags on] they said I would have to buy insurance in SC no problem I thought I was wrong the insurance people said they could not sell me insurance without a SC tag and I went to a few different insurance company’s and they all told me the same thing so I said the h$$$ with an moved back out of SC’ I found out later that I could have gone to a car dealer and they would helped me but no one at the tag office or insurance company’s would tell me that.

@Renegade To borrow a pair of quotes from my late mother; ye gods and little fishes, some people don’t have half the brains God gives glass geese. :roll_eyes:

I simply cannot fathom why some states make it so complicated to simply register/ license a car. It should be a very easy, simple process.

1 Like

[quote="Marnet
I simply cannot fathom why some states make it so complicated to simply register/ license a car. It should be a very easy, simple process.

You would think so.

1 Like

I have lived in a few different states over the years and found that Alabama Florida and Georgia to be the most easy and simplest to deal with.

2 Likes

I will go of topic for a bit here but speaking of license’s we have too many now but I would like to see one more on the federal level as most of y’all know I am a retired truck drive and also like to fish in my travel’s I have seen many places I would have liked to try fishing at but as most of Y’'ll know it is expensive to get a out of state fishing license. What I would like to see is a federal fishing license that would allow fishing anywhere it the country just for people who hold a CDL license or retired people who like to fish and travel that way it would not hurt the states too bad on the sale of out of state licenses.

That is the place. He drove me by the old Zimmerman’s appliance store many times. “My ma knew his ma,” and so forth. I can say I have visited the Hull-Rust-Mahoning mine and there are pictures of me and my brother as kids sitting in those giant tires for the trucks. My great uncle used to be a tire guy. Don’t forget the Greyhound Bus Museum, either.