Tabs or cats

Not correcting, just providing more of the whole story that not everyone is providing.

That’s funny! :laughing: I see it here on the Sun Coast, too. Goes down to low 60’s for a winter morning and native Floridians have long pants, hooded sweatshirts with hood tied, or jackets, their dogs have jackets, and I’m out riding my bike or playing golf with shorts and short sleeves.

My wife’s golf Women’s golf league and water aerobics class (83* water) has several cancellations, too.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

I grew up in Connecticut when the license plates were small rectangular and aluminum. They issued new ones every 7 years, I think, and in between they issued annual inserts. After 1957 we got bigger plates that were the same as every other state, and you kept the plates as long as you kept renewing your registration. The plates stayed with you when you bought a different car, you just had them reassigned to the new car. I think they still do that. It California the plates stay with the car. I’ve always renewed the plates by mail or online. Going to the DMV is right up there with going to the dentist.

I really don’t understand where this conversation is going, and I don’t understand what compelled me to post a reply.

[post withdrawn by author]

1 Like

One of my brothers and his wife live in FL. She’s from TN and he, like me, from OK. They’ve lived in the MO Ozarks, in AL, and for several years in Duluth MN. He’s amused when FL natives get out winter gear when it gets in the mid 60s or below while he’s still in shorts and polo shirt. My SIL breaks out a sweater below 65 but still laughs at those all bundled up.

Having grown up in OK, the summers in NJ seemed mild, rarely getting above the 80s. And the humidity in NJ, even near the shore where we lived, was only slightly higher than I was used to in eastern OK. I did, though, have to acclimate to the endlessly gray, rainy winter days and the much deeper snows.

My school classmates in NJ couldn’t understand why I was never fazed by what passed for a thunderstorm there. A few flashes and minor thunder. Or the time a tornado warning was issued my friends were all frantic. I simply listened to the warning, saw the graphics on the tv report and calmly said we had nothing to worry about. It was a minor tornado as twisters go and was tracking well away from us. Hey, I grew up in tornado alley.

A couple of years after high school I ran into friend from school right at the end of the summer. He and another guy from high school had spent the summer on a classic college guys cross country road trip sleeping in the back of their station wagon and living on bologna sandwiches. He said the trip gave them a whole new perspective about me after having driven through OK and experiencing summer t-storms there. He started telling me about one storm in particular they watched tower bigger and bigger from some 60 miles away before they drove into it. Before he could even begin to tell his tale of how wild it was driving through thst storm I started laughing. From his description they drove into and punched the core of a rotating supercell. Ooops! They lucked out not getting hammered with large hail or driving into a rain wrapped tornado.

Only a few years later, when I was back in OK I ended up driving into the edge of a rain wrapped tornado. Not an experience I care to repeat! Luckily, the car which was the big, heavy 1965 Olds 98 land yacht was only lifted off the road very slightly and set down one lane over from the lane I’d been in. That was while the strongest part of the twister was destroying the truck stop just off the turnpike at Big Cabin and tossing semis around like tinker toys. :flushed:

I’d long been fascinated with stormy weather but that particular experience in autumn of 1979 started me toward getting into SKYWARN severe weather spotter training.

One lesson learned, if I see every big rig exiting the interstate and parking I also exit and stop to find out the reason such as dangerous weather ahead, traffic delay due to an accident, wildfire with smoke obscuring visibility, etc. :grin:

1 Like

3 Likes

But have you ever tried skimboarding?

Well… YEAH! It might get cold at night, drop below 70 degrees! I’m kidding only slightly. I laughed a people bundled up here in FL at 68 degrees while I’m in shorts. Now I’m bundled up at 68 degrees.

We get lots of different plates from different states. The NY black over orange plates look like the orange ones assigned to Ohio DUI offenders… just sayin’ NY… :wink:

Not so many boring blue on white Ontario plates this year. Most our Canucks had to fly instead of drive this year as the border blocked them on the road but not the air.

I’ll second @common-sense-answer’s comments about the Tax Collectors offices here in FL. They are efficient, helpful, and convienient.

3 Likes

No, is that where they put a little board in a couple inches of water, parallel to the beach, and run and jump on? I see kids doing that and it looks like fun!
CSA

On days when I’m not playing golf on a league (leagues 3 times/week), I go and play with the guys and we have standing tee times of 7:14 a.m. and 7:22 a.m., all season long (golf season is just now ending, ha, ha, but golf isn’t!)

I walk over with my clubs and on those cold winter mornings when it’s barely above 60, I see my friend Richard (arrives way early) making practice swings and putts.

He’s got long pants, jacket, sometimes gloves, and a knit ski hat. Strolling up in my shorts and golf shirt, stifling a laugh, I say some thing like, “Hey Richard, where’d you park your snowmobile?”
CSA

It is fun, but hard on the knees while you are learning. Was F&B director at holiday inn boardwalk, Daytona, Ice baths for sunburned critters, interestingly the ears nose and top of the feet were so common, like cars parked and swamped on the beach by the incoming tide.

Hi @common-sense-answer the community guidelines are here

Thanks for pointing out they weren’t centrally available. I’ve now pinned it throughout the forum. Please stop finding a way to bring up the political aspects of the pandemic. I’m asking you to stop not because of your viewpoint, but the bigger issue is you now know it makes people angry, and yet you’ve been doing it anyway. This gets at the core of the discussion guidelines’ request that people consider how their posts contribute to the overall atmosphere of the community. There are lots of people here whose politics I don’t know, but there are a number I can think of who do agree with you, but somehow they don’t end up with arguments trailing in the wake of their comments.

@bing and @cavell and others I may have left out - please also drop the discussion about the shooting. You’re not bringing it up to talk about tags, even though the word “tags” and “car” appeared in the post.

There are some other folks on the other end of the spectrum who bring up politics at irrelevant times, and I’ve commented on that, too.

I have relied on people to self-regulate and read the room for a long time. I don’t think that’s sufficient here. I’m tired of talking about covid, and I’m sure many here would rather talk about anything but.

Going forward if I see any repeated efforts to place political bait in discussions, without response to request to stop, and I will give short-term time-outs (i.e., temporary bans). I’ll warn first.

I’m still thinking about off-topic discussions, but right now the above statement is focused on folks who bait others into political discussions and don’t respond to redirection.

@old_mopar_guy…language! This isn’t Gravesend.

Thank you.

4 Likes

You will have to explain that to me, google comes up with “Four young men spend their Saturday night trying to come up with the money to cover up the accidental death of a family member”

I had to look it up too. Apparently it’s a cable TV show about mobsters in Brooklyn.
Last time I visited Brooklyn 9 year olds were cussin’ like angry Marines.

1 Like

It’s a neighborhood in Brooklyn. East coast stuff kinda is unfamiliar to Midwest folks. I assume a rough neighborhood but never been there. Cokes, pop, sneakers, etc.

Because we’re talking about car registration and not a mortgage payment. It’s not a significant amount of money.

In this state, for my 2006 Chevy, it costs me $120 for a TWO year registration. I see cars driving around with tabs from over a year ago. If you have a running, driving, late model car you have money to register it.

1 Like

I am amazed at the 97% of adults in this country have smart phones and I don’t think I believe it. Maybe it is my age but I know a LOT of people who don’t have them as well as almost that many that don’t use computers and I meet a lot of people at car shows that don’t have smart phones either. It is not an economic issue, I could easily buy and smartphone and not miss the money and I could buy new cars frequently, but neither of those things would make me happy. I hate changing cards even though I love driving and I don’t mind being out of touch with people for long periods of time.

I deliberately don’t have a laptop or tablet or smart phone so I won’t spend all my time on devices. I don’t require as much sleep as most people soI usually go online when there is nothing else to do and do banking , shopping and check Car Talk.

I represent your remark. Sure I have 4 laptops, 2 chromebooks, an ubuntu and win 10, and a tower computer win 7, and it is easy to spend all day on line, what am I doing tomorrow making a long drive to see if I can get a pic of a blue trillium in bloom, other goals, biking with buds, metal detecting on the beach, more exercise, and yes I have to drive my car to go to the blue trillium site. I staked out a conservancy area when they were in bloom, a rare species, talked to the land owner, gees I have been dumping all my grass clippings over that bank. Killed them all I think. Many special plants, jack in the pulpet etc. but I can’t give up like my 71 nova I nursed till 93, I have been making the trip every 3 years or so hoping one will survive for the last 30 years, 2 or 3 times a spring, have not seen one yet but going again tomorrow. It brings me joy to do the hunt, and to me that is a highlight.
OK, how did I end up with four? Ordered a chromebook from cdw outlet, $65, ended up getting a win 10 $1400 laptop instead. Boy was I disappointed, had windows at work, oh well. A coffee cup fell on it and it puked. So I ordered an $85 chromebook, got a really nice hp laptop instead, daughter needed a computer so I gave it to her. Ordered another $125 chromebook, and I did not see it on the couch sat on it and it puked. Wife wanted touchscreen so I ordered a new thouchscreen chromebook for $165. Tore the others apart and got them working. The Win 10 was puked so I ordered the wrong model no OS as I was just going to swap hard drives. Wrong model ordered, so It is the ubuntu laptop.

The world has changed. Smart phones have been common since 2008. At that time a friend gave me his old smart phone, I returned it to him the next day after I discovered the monthly fee for the service. In 2016 I received a phone for free when my phone company discontinued their 2G service.

Phones prior to that were cheap appliances, they don’t last 10 years, everybody today has a modern phone.

I find it amusing when someone asks for travel advice and 4 members suggest to take along a cell phone. People won’t leave a room without their phone, why would they leave it behind during a road trip?