Tabs or cats

The young man who was shot by accident was pulled over for expired tabs. So, there is that. MN has 600k cars with expired tabs today. And 150k folks with expired drivers licenses. And deadline for licenses expired on April 1st.

In the late '50s-early '60s, NJ finally switched from the old steel license plates–which usually showed rust after a few years–to aluminum plates. Everyone thought that this was a good idea until it became obvious that they were using aluminum sheets that were entirely too thin, and that were too prone to damage when someone backed into your front bumper.
After a few years, the state began using thicker aluminum for the plates.

Don’t blame lockdown. Blame your state Government for being so inefficient. That’s just stupid they can’t have straightened this out by now. This isn’t rocket science.

2 Likes

Kind of a Sticker problem. A couple towns over from me (Salem NH) decided to change their Dump stickers. Instead of putting them on the inside lower left corner of windshield - some brain trust decided to put the sticker in t he middle of windshield (ON THE OUTSIDE). What an idiot. They needed to reissue stickers after the time people used their wipers and it just pealed off. Some people just don’t think.

1 Like

[post withdrawn by author]

2 Likes

1 Like

I remember those from when we lived in NJ during the 1970s.

1 Like

He does… very social but protective. When he was a kitten he used to take car rides to the bank or just ride around with my wife. He still loves the rocking motion. He has no issues with car travel. The other boy is a big yellow tabby. He rides pretty well, too, especially if his brother is along. Good thing, too, if we need to evacuate due to a hurricane.

Coincidentally, we have also had a solid gray and a gray and white. Both females.

1 Like

old_mopar_guy
"If you dont stop with your political bullshit, i hope Carolyn tosses you out on your ass."

What?? What on earth are you talking about? I am not making political statements, but rather I am stating pertinent, relevant facts. If you mean that most states operate their DMVs through a branch/division of the state government, I can’t control that, sorry. Nor can I control how well they function. I can only try and use their services and observe.

The licensing discussion was about experiences folks were having dealing with DMVs and obtaining current registrations.

I live in 2 locations and my experiences in the two are as varied as other people’s are. I was contrasting 2 state’s DMVs. If that offends you, sir, then I apologize.

I am following the rules. I do not resort to name calling as you have on at least 2 occasions (using what some would consider vulgar or rude language, which we used to have rules that wouldn’t allow it, but I don’t know where to find the rules, now) and to tell you the truth it doesn’t look good to our guests and it doesn’t speak highly of your character, which I’m sure is better than that.

Anyhow, my situation is on topic, illustrative, and quite apropos because I am actively purchasing a vehicle and will be utilizing a license plate agent. I will keep the Community updated as I continue.

Anybody know where the Community rules are?

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Maybe some of those are people like me, who have a smart phone but have no data plan.
My phone can go on the internet only through wifi.
I have a T-Mobile “legacy” pay-as-you-go plan that’s 8 cents per text message or minute of voice.
Costs about $100 a year.
I will NOT be one of those walking down the street gazing at the phone, so why pay for that ability?

1 Like

Fun at the DMV (I mean Tax Collector’s Office)
Florida has dozens of cool designs on their license plates, something for everybody) and I’ve been like a kid in a candy store trying to choose the one I like best.
I like these …
Manatee is my county’s namesake

However, I’ve been waiting a long time to register a car in the Sunshine State (motto on standard plate), so that I could get this. I’m sticking with this one…

(I have a faux version of this plate on the front of my vehicles, already.)
CSA

1 Like

Well duh!
When I’m at home (or in a motel etc) I can and do occasionally go on the internet with the phone through wifi.
However, I prefer the larger screen and real keyboard of a laptop or desktop computer.

Thanks! We already volunteer to help plant oysters and aquatic plants, clean beaches, etcetera…

I do try surfing (sister-in-law and brother-in-law are surfers), but I want it because I just really like it. Some money from plates goes to surfing preservation.

My wife and I adopted the Endless Summer motif in the condo when we moved in, have a sign outside with that verbiage and symbols. To us it seems we live in endless summer (we migrate, winter south, summer north) and very often have no concept of what season we’re in. It’s all summer to us, year around golf, biking, kayaking, swimming, surfing, pickleball, etcetera. It’s the perfect plate.
CSA

Before license plates in many if not most states began having multiple tourism advertising designs and special interest personal advertising designs available it was easy to know what state a license plate was from from a distance just by the color of the plate and/or distinctive symbol.

On the two summer long driving trips through western states I took my mom on in 1990 and 1991 we had fun noting what states cars were from. Of course, for me it was particularly easy spotting OK plates with the medicine drum. NM had a stylized sun symbol in the middle. At the time NJ still had a distinctive dun colored plate. PA had a keystone symbol in the middle. Etc.

Few plates had artwork picture designs or slogans. And there were very, very few vanity plates to be seen.

The one special plate seen from many states was disabled designation. But designated disabled parking was still in quite limited supply most places.

Interestingly, we saw many PA plates in scenic western mountain states but very few FL plates. It’s as if folks from the mountains of PA wanted to see the western mountains but folks from FL beaches and year round warmth weren’t as apt to venture into mountains where jackets are needed by unacclimated flatlander tourists even in the middle of summer.

A note about personalized “vanity” license plates. Over the years I’ve been advised many times by police that as fun as a vanity plate can be it is too often a danger for women to have one. Vanity plates draw attention to both the vehicle and the driver. They also make it easier for criminally minded opportunists to spot and track anyone, man or woman, who the bad guys perceive as vulnerable.

At the time I got my ham radio license some years ago I was a member of a volunteer group of trained weather spotters running a severe weather ham radio reporting net sponsored by the county police and coordinating with the NWS. Most of the men in the group had vanity plates with their call sign. The few of us ladies in the group were repeatedly strongly advised not to do so but keep ordinary issued plates that were boringly undistinctive.

1 Like

Hell, Floridians in Florida don’t like it when the temperature dips into the 60s! I was visiting a buddy down in Winterpark probably 10-12 years ago. He’s originally from the Pittsburgh area, his wife (fiancee then) is a native Floridian. One evening it was a nice breezy 62. He and I were out in shorts and T-Shirts, she had on sweat pants, a long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, and a windbreaker!

1 Like