Tabs or cats

Yeah so I had to haul brush etc. to the dropoff site, the blanket i put down did not catch all the debris, so off to a car wash and free vacuum, get up this am and bird poop to clean up, no bird poop in the 3 years we have owned the car.

And that is exactly the problem. :frowning::thinking::roll_eyes:

Tragic consequences from that twice when I was a child. Two kittens were killed a year apart when my mom backed the car out of the garage not knowing a kitten was sleeping on top of a tire.

Stand in line? Why did you need new “tags”?

The 1965 Olds my parents had was a nice gold color that for some reason every bird in the sky targeted. That car collected more bird droppings than all our other cars put together.

1 Like

Wasn’t it that way everywhere before the '60s? I remember all the old plates. Stamping was work for prisoners.

NM lets me do it online, makes it cheaper even, but I still need an emissions test for my old pickup. My plate is 17 years old, well faded. I think the rule is that they have to decide that it’s unreadable before you have to get a new plate, and who’s looking? Officially they’re decals, but everybody calls them stickers.

You have to buy new tags once a year depending on what month is on your plate, determined pretty much by when you bought the car. Mine expire in March so have to buy tags for the year by the end of March, so stand in line I must.

It was explained that the expiration label on the license plate is called a “tab” in MN.

In the Ozarks and some Midwestern states the license plate is referred to as a “tag”.

Can’t we all speak the same language? Why waste gasoline driving to the DMV for something that is routinely delivered by mail? Do people in Minnesota like to pay in cash from their Dave Ramsey budget envelope?

Now back to cat talk.

Well I have no idea what you are talking about. I don’t know what everyone calls them but on the instructions for ordering on line you are to select “renew tabs”. Seems that’s what DMV calls them. I’ve always called license plates license plates and have no idea what they call anything in the Ozarks??? License plates are different than tabs though.

Dave Ramsey? Got a problem with staying out of debt? DMV is about 2 miles and on my way to the hardware store so really not a big concern but I’d rather go for a drive than sit at home. I usually pay by check not cash but if you want to order on line you can with a debit card. As they say in Minnesota though “whatever”. I don’t own any cats.

You stated that you were getting new tags, not tabs. If this were posted in common English people would not get confused, yourself included.

Back when I was a kid OK issued new plates frequently. Don’t recall for certain but I think it was yearly. The plates alternated between being white with green lettering and the reverse of green with white lettering. No logos or artwork. No vanity plates, etc. Just a simple plain plate on the back of the car. And everyone had to go to the license office in person.

Later OK redesigned the plates with a medicine drum in the middle of the plate like is on the state flag, a very distinctive and attractive design. But eventually that design was retired, sad to say.

That was 50 years ago, this is not a valid reason for people to fail to renew vehicle registration today. Those who renew their vehicle registration in person displace those who have real reason to visit the DMV.

I have renewed by mail in recent years once that option became available here in MO. But this most recent time, last November, I couldn’t use the mail renewal option because the DMV requires those being issued new plates go in person to a license office.

In the past, going in person was a very time consuming process with license offices being private franchises that the state puts up for rebid every few years.

However, due to COVID the DMV opened a state run license office here in south StL county which I used. Very efficient, clean, no long lines or crowded waiting. A refreshing change of experience. I hope it remains open as an alternative to the two franchise offices is this part of the county.

No clue how many other temporary state run DMV license offices have been opened around the state or where to eliminate crowded waiting.

Your thinking is a little backward. These are private, local “registrars” that handle these tasks. They are private local businesses. They get a cut of the registration fees. To mail order would cut these local businesses out of an important source of funds. It’s the difference of ordering from Amazon versus buying at the local hardware store. Guten nacht.

I’ve always renewed my tabs online, might have stopped for awhile but you can go into the office to pick up your tabs as soon as you can get over there, or do the transaction in the middle of the night if you want and pick them up the next morning. Doesn’t have to be at the courthouse office but it’s really no closer to me than the other options.

In Virginia if you actually go to the DMV for any transaction that could have been done online it costs an extra $5. Right now I have a complicated title issue that can’t be done online, but it’s a 2 month wait to get an appt. at the DMV. I get a double dose of fun an extra $5 and a 2 month wait, YIPPIE. Kind of takes the fun out of getting a “new to me” car. :tired_face:

Wow! That’s insane!
I’m going to buy a new “gently pre-owned” vehicle here in Florida before I go back north (if I go… I won’t if they’re in lock-down or restrict citizens).

Last week I had to go online and register some cars and boats that are licensed in our northern location. I called a phone number on the site and when I finally got a human to answer, I was told there was nobody to speak with, the 3 workers had been “working from home for over a year,” with no way to contact them.

In contrast, when I purchase the vehicle in the next couple of months (which will be licensed and insured in Florida), I will have no problems and no delays. Last week, I wanted a new copy of the “Florida Driver License Handbook,” called and was invited over, drove 2 miles to the Tax Collector’s Office (they’re all over the place here) where vehicle registrations and licensing occurs and walked right in. They gave me 2 of the 95 page booklets! (They were nice and friendly, well staffed, and I had zero wait time)

I feel for anybody in these restricted or screwed up places (including me when I finally have to back to one for a while).

We feel so blessed to be Florida when shopping cars, in more ways than one.
Ask anybody here, “How are you doing” and expect to hear “It’s another day in paradise!” This includes license bureau folks.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Speaking of retired plates…I miss the previous plates we used in PA. Navy back with yellow lettering. I can’t stand the way the current ones look. I still have 3 of them at my parents house that my dad kept from old cars when he got the “new” tags

There is a reason torenew your registration at the DMV in NY state. If you renew by mail or online, the state keeps the money, if you renew in person the county keeps most of it.

If you use an old plate to register your old car, it has to pass the same legibility test as a new plate and it is illegal to repaint it. I never heard of anyone being charged with repainting there plates and a lot of classic cars have very pristine looking plates that look better than they did at issue.

If you dont stop with your political bullshit, i hope Carolyn tosses you out on your ass.

6 Likes