Tabs or cats

I think I mentioned that last night. That’s where the term “tab” came from, because they had tabs on them that fit into the slot in the license plate. Proof folk don’t read the responses. I gotta go write the IRS.

I have been renewing my vehicle registration online for 12 years, before that it was by mail. I never had to renew in person at the DMV.

The state of Nevada replaces the license plates every 8 years, they are delivered by mail.

Seems terribly inconvenient. I have 4 registered vehicles and a trailer. I am not going to the DMV to peek though windows and wait for license plate decals to placed into a locker.

Not all offices have pickup. Mine does. Or they will mail them. You can do whole process online too. I stepped thru it today and it does not ask which car though. Have 2. So, I assume they will send tabs for the one that’s due?

Thank you for that explanation. The mystery word “tab” now has a clear meaning to this Wisconsin native who lives in Minnesota. The world makes a little more sense now.

The Maryland DMV offices are crowded enough with license renewals. No matter why you go in, you will sit there for an hour or more unless you make an appointment. On line or by snail mail is much faster.

In my state, people were crying the blues about long lines outside the MVC (our name for the DMV), but when they were questioned outside the building about the reason for their visit, it turned out that over 50% of them could have taken care of their business online or via the US mail.

Minnesota has licensed “registrars” around the state that are private businesses that process license and registration transactions, and also serve as the testing locations. Works very well until this past year. Restriction have gotten greater though so in March when I got my new tags, you couldn’t stand in line anymore. You had to check in and then wait in your car or outside until you were called to come inside. Too late now but for those that bought Plexiglass stock, had to make a lot of money.

In WI you request and pay for new plates, looks like $4. If you get rid of a vehicle you can transfer the plates to another vehicle.

I like your avatar @Marnet
Cute kitty… our Max is a Tuxedo with the black cap and mask. About equal black and white overall. All purpose shedding…

2 Likes

True, I replied before reading all the responses, including yours. By the mid sixties, Tab was a sugar free cola-like product.

I have old plates with the metal TABS. The current plates come with STICKERS.

Awww, sounds like you have a lovely cat @Mustangman. Tuxies have sweet purrsonalities. “All purpose shedding” gives me a good laugh. :+1::rofl:

The cat in my avatar was Frisky. He went to kitty heaven four years ago. I just like still seeing his picture.

Currently a pair of youngish Grayfur Girls own me. One is a gray a white silvercloud tabby, the other solid gray.

Uhm… uhm … to keep this somehow car related … :grin::kissing_cat: I can report that despite frequent wild speeding through the house neither cat has a drivers license but their gray fur that gets on my clothes nicely blends with my car’s gray interior. :wink::grin:

3 Likes

Marnet I know you have a garage and I take it the cats you think you own are inside cats that means you can’t have a custom paint job on your car like I have on my truck’s. they leave custom paw print patterns that constantly changes every few days depending on the season or weather mud dust pollen or what ever else they can get into as they are both inside or outside cat’s and I don’t have a garage.

1 Like

@Renegade True, I miss out on the feline artistry of custom vehicle paint jobs. But their feline tire treads are excellent at disbursing litter throughout the place so that I don’t need to worry about road traction if it snows inside the house.:grin:

I’m sure you most appreciate feline artists stained glass work on your windshield. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I forgot the stained glass artwork esspecially during pollen season as far as the litter helping road traction inside the house don;t they have studs in their paws like some snow tires have?

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yes! And their lethal paw studs help in high speed sharp cornering, lane changes, breakneck stops, and swift launches off the starting line in whole house Nascat races. :kissing_cat::grin:

1 Like

Yes I know routine as I have the same thing in my house plus two dog’s that sometimes will get into the fun and games.

1 Like

My urologist would love those license plates!!

NY used to give metal plates with the date on them and were replaced every year. The color alternated from yellow orange to black every year. You can buy them used and use them as historic plates for your antique car. My son in law has a black 50 plate fro his 50 Chrysler. We then went to the metal tabs then to a permanent plate with a colored registration sticker on the lower drivers corner of the windshield, then a two year registration.

The DMV in my county is now open for mast purposes by appointment only, which has just about eliminated the long waits.

Yup, we always had cats when I was a kid. Cat paws all over the car in the garage after I had shined it all up. They had a habit of sleeping on top of the tire though. Not a good idea.