Synchronizing Gears on a Ford Focus ZX3

How much does it cost to synchronize 2nd and 3rd gears?

Your question is not clear.

Are you asking how much it will cost to replace worn 2nd and 3rd gear synchronizers on a manual transmission? If not, please clarify.

Providing the year, engine size, mileage, and how many speeds your transmission has would help greatly.

I recently had a new clutch put in an after, every time i shifted into second and third it would slightly grind. The car is an 01 Ford Focus ZX3 16v zetech engine, with 143XXX miles, and it is a 5 speed manual transmission.

If this problem did not exist at all and to any degree before the clutch replacement then it sounds like the clutch is not releasing properly or is dragging.

You should have about 3/4 of an inch of free pedal movement before you feel the clutch when depressing the pedal. When you release the pedal the clutch should start pulling the car when the pedal is about an inch up from the floor.

A dragging clutch can be caused by an incorrect part, someone putting an oily hand on the new clutch disc during installation, faulty pilot bearing, etc.
With the first one mentioned, a slight difference in the clutch can be magnified at the pedal and the pilot should always be replaced with the new clutch assembly.

Off the top of my head I don’t remember if the clutch master cylinder operating rod is adjustable or not but many are. (assuming the pedal movement is not correct)

well before the clutch was put in, 1st gear was totally out and all the other gears were fine, but after the clutch was put in, 1st gear started working an second an third gear started grinding…now i dont know if a new pilot was put in with the clutch. I will find out tomorrow if it was or not. I dont believe the clutch is dragging.