Symptoms of a potentially fatal transmission problem

so i’ll try to be as brief as possible:

3 days ago my 1998 ford contour started an occasional quiet, high-pitched wheeze when i accelerated hard that faded away when the car aclimated to the incline, speed increase, etc. then, it grew louder, more high-pitched, and now sounds off CONSTANTLY when my foot is against the pedal. when i hit 30 or 40 the car jerks hard like it’s going to quit on me right there on the spot, and then manages to propel me just a bit further. i’ve got 167-168k, newish sparkplugs, all my reservoirs look good and my transmission definitely isn’t leaking or swollen.

the way i see it, the engine health (outside of the transmission) plus the nature of the symptoms and the fact that my ride has grown gradually and exponentially rougher over the past year means it’s GOT to be the transmission going out on me.

does this sound right?

i considered the possibility of a clogged filter, but the symptoms of my car’s dysfunction seem to me too extreme for this to be a solution.

my transmission is done for… isn’t it?

FORD HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION AROUND THAT YEAR, YOUR PROBLEM COULD HAVE STARTED OUT AS A FILTER PROBLEM WHICH WILL CAUSE HARD SHIFTING AND NOISE, YOU CAN CHANGE THE FILTER AND PUT IN AN ADDITIVE LIKE TRICK SHIFT, THIS MAY HELP IF ITS A FLOW PROBLEM OR A STICKY VALVE BODY. IF THIS DOES NOT WORK THAN MOST LIKELY YOU HAVE A BROKEN VALVE (THIS IS COMMEN IN THESE YEARS) OR A BAD TORQE CONVERTER BOTH WILL NEED TO BE REBUILT OR REPLACED.

DANNYBOY,

I suggest you turn off the CAP LOCK. Most people find ALL CAPS hard to read and they are consider rude (SHOUTING). If all caps were easier to read, you would see books and newspapers printed that way. More people will read your messages if you follow the convention.