Suv

What SUVs are on a car chassis?

Most small and many mid-sized ones are these days. Of course if you want an SUV to tow heavy loads and do actual off-roading. You’ll want one with an actual frame. If you’re just a poseur then, go ahead and get the glorified minivan-based ones.

What I find interesting is that a real off roading champ of the past was a Jeep Cherokee(not grand). This was unibody not full frame construction. These vehicles are tough.

It was decent, but nowhere as competent as the old CJs. Furthermore should you have an incident, involving a roll over or a slide into a tree, the vehicle was basically done for since it’s not easy to straighten out a unibody.

I have an old Cherokee (92) that I use as a winter beater. The drive train seems durable enough, but the rest of the vehicle is a real POS. The interior/exterior finish quality is terrible, the accessories tend to break, it has a thousand rattles and squeaks, etc. Overall, it’s just a cheap domestic car/truck with a decent engine and 4WD. It works as a snow car, but I couldn’t stand to drive it every day.

Is the bumper still attached??? I had an 89 which was great in snow with junk tires. The bumper was only held on with light sheet metal brackets which easily rusted. That bumper wouldn’t protect you from a shopping cart!

When I bought my first Pathfinder I test drove a brand new Cherokee. The fit and finish on that truck was pitiful. There was a world of difference between the Pathfinder and the Cherokee.

Is the bumper still attached??? I had an 89 which was great in snow with junk tires. The bumper was only held on with light sheet metal brackets which easily rusted. That bumper wouldn’t protect you from a shopping cart!

I’m not sure, I haven’t checked the bumper yet today. Usually it just leaks oil while the paint falls off in sheets.

I guess “it’s a jeep thing.” (-;

I did LOVE the engine though.