Suspicious scraping sound from my 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco 6-speed MT

Greetings everyone,

I have strange noises coming from my 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6-speed MT (ODO 81,000 Mi) and I was hoping some of you might have some insights into what the problem might be.

I have noticed that whenever I am in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears and I take my foot off the accelerator a grinding or scraping unmistakably-metal-on-metal type noise comes from what sounds like somewhere behind the center console. It never makes this sound when applying the accelerator and it also never does it when coasting in neutral.

The car is very well insulated so the noise isn’t loud. I have tried experimenting with this while the windows were rolled down and I can also hear it coming from outside. Again, it isn’t loud but I can definitely hear it.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Could be anything! can you post a sound clip?

not accelerating is also not using engine braking? Or just coasting? Bad diff gears? Had a low hp VW rabbit with bad diff. Nice and quiet while accelerating. But definite diff whine while slowing in gear

Yes, I should clarify here. This would be a scraping sound that happens only when slowing in gear and never when applying accelerator or when in neutral.

I’ll see if I can record it. Not sure if my phone will pick it up.

Any change in the sound if brakes are applied?

I haven’t been able to capture the noise with my phone but I found a youtube video of something that sounds very similar and is happening under identical conditions. Give it a listen. The author of the YouTube video has a different vehicle but the noise is almost identical albeit quieter than what I’m experiencing at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GY9BxNeH2E

No change if the brakes are applied.

Its when the car is decelerating…I can hear it. Something wrong with the clutch or throw out bearing not releasing completely. Take it to a mechanic ASAP.