Suspicious odor

I own a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse, it appears to be running okay, but the check engine light is on and there is a strong smell coming from the exhaust pipe. Please advise

I would get the codes read…many auto shops do it free or if you haven’t had the car in for routine maintenance now seems like a good time to do it.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Maybe I was not clear, but I was hoping for someone to give me an example of what could be wrong… I know I need to get the codes checked… Thanks!

Describe the smell.

Money says one or both:

Catalytic converter

Oxygen sensor.

Everyone is right in their followup questions: Find out what trouble codes are setting the CEL, and what is the smell. Sulfurous?

You ask what could be wrong? An owner too lazy to follow initial advice (free) and get the codes checked (free) but still wants expert advice (free) without following up with useful information. That’s what’s wrong.