Sun Shade Use

I have always asked myself this about customers,how do they get smart enough to get a job that makes it possible for them to afford a car like a Audi TT and not know that the sun damages the interior of a car?

Whitey,make a little test,leave your window down a little and see if you can get your door open. If you don’t have a good size knob on the lock button and the handle is at all difficult to reach you will see its not so easy.

Now with a little knowledge on how the rods running from the handle to the latch are set up slim-jims work great and it doesn’t matter if the window is all the way up.

Oldschool, a few years ago, I was at a party where a friend had locked the keys in the car. Fortunately, we were able to push the window down until it was cracked and the host of the party had a wire hanger for me to use. I was in the car in a matter of minutes. It was a Ford, so I didn’t have to unlock it. I only had to push the interior door handle to get the door to pop open. However, if it hadn’t been a Ford, I could have just as easily used it to pry the lock open.

A Slim Jim requires a little more know-how than a wire hanger. In addition, leaving a window or two open even 1/2 of an inch will allow an amateur to push it open as much as three or four inches. At least if the windows are up and tight, they are not as easy to work downward by pushing on the glass.

I don’t really care if coat hangers are obsolete because of Slim Jims. I still think your car is safer and better off with the windows all the way up, especially if you don’t know when to expect rain.

catherinesoria, I think there are a lot of people who are for using sun shades, but who also think it isn’t that big of a deal. My friend as a 17 year old Volvo, and she doesn’t use a sun shade. Her dash board looks great too. She keeps it clean and uses an Armour All type product. You are really making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It’s education, not smarts. If someone wants to find out, they can. catherinesoria posted a question and has had the opportunity to learn something. I’m sure that she and her husband know things that we don’t know, too.