Subaru won't start

Engine turns over but won’t fire.

Replaced fuel filter and added heet to fuel system.

The plugs spark when jumped.

Tried spraying starting fluid in the air intake.

When it used to start, it leaked coolant and white smoke puffed from the exhaust.

Any ideas?

Based on, “When it used to start, it leaked coolant and white smoke puffed from the exhaust”, this sounds like a car that has had a head gasket problem for awhile. It is very possible that dilution of the motor oil with coolant has led to so much engine wear that there is no longer sufficient compression for the engine to run.

You failed to tell us the model year and the odometer mileage, but since it has been so many years since the Loyale model was marketed, I am guessing that the car is at least 14 years old. The wear and tear of all those years, coupled with damage from a breached head gasket, could have done in this old engine. This may be the time to move on.

I second VDCdriver. It’s time to run a compression test.

I appreciate the help, guys, but I’m worried these comments have gone directly to the worst-case scenario. Is it possible we are overlooking something simple? Could head gasket problem be a separate issue?

Have you checked to see if one of the timing belts is broken?

Is it possible we are overlooking something simple?

Sure, but not likely in my opinion.  Do a compression test.

Have you confirmed that the fuel pump is actually working?
Remove the output line from the fuel filter, place a hose on it, and place the other end into a container. As you crank the engine over, fuel should flow into that container.

My neighbor had the same symptoms in her '92 Subaru Outback a couple months ago, and when I did this test, it was the fuel pump that went out. Replaced that, and now her car is happily zipping down the road with over 220k miles on it.

BC.