Subaru Forester rear breaks only good for 35000 mi?

We own a 2010 Subaru Forester and the rear replaced the first time just before the warranty expired at about 33,000 mi. A couple of months ago, it had the 60,000 mi service and the dealer informed me that the breaks were going to need replacing soon. Soon after the car started to make noises -squealing- while driving and specially loudly when backing in, and vibrate after 50mph -not violently but noticeably. So, I think is the breaks again after only 30,000 mi. Talked to the dealer and they said it’s typical for the rear breaks to wear out this fast. Really?! this is our first Subaru, and we love the awe, but thinking of replacing breaks every 30,000 gives me pause. Any advice?

Darn the autocorrect! I meant to write AWD not awe. We live in Ohio and the AWD is especially helpful during winter.

When are you replacing the front brakes? It’s possible you may have a proportioning valve problem or you may just be hard on brake pads. 30K on some brake pads is considered acceptable because all brake pads are not the same.

I’m assuming you have rear disc brakes? My 2000 Blazer’s rear pads wore out every 30 -35k, while I was getting about 70k out of the front pads. The Blazer was my first vehicle with rear disc brakes. I never managed to wear out the rear drum shoes on any of my previous vehicles.

Ed B.

While frequent, if you’re driving mostly around town it’s not that unusual. Make sure they give your brakes a thorough inspection when they do the rear axle, just to make sure there’s not some other issue.

Brake wear is something that is usually driver controlled…If there is no mechanical issue, a slight change in your driving habits could greatly extend brake life…

yeah, I ve never understood the way some people hurry toward a red light

Missileman, they have not said about the front, but I made an appointment to have them check again. A proportioning valve problem? Would you mind explaining?

I just read an article about brake line rust in Subarus. Apperantly there is a recall. Could this explain part of the problem?

No, brake line rust would cause leaks, not worn pads. Any decent shop would automatically check the front pads along with the back, but make sure they do this. I’d be very surprised if it was a proportioning valve problem - are you noticing any unusual behavior while braking?

And please tell us the type of driving you do, @killerbea - it’ll help us a lot.

Rear disc brakes in snowy winter climates causes rear discs to wear much faster as rear wheels get much of the road spray. Also, many manufacturers use smaller rear pads and complicated braking systems that use them a lot in an effort to keep the car level during braking. It is not at all unusual for cars with rear discs around where I live to get 30 to 35,000 miles on a set of pads.

In all my 35 years as a parts man…I have never sold so many REAR brakes till they went to rear disc brakes.
I see it as the norm these days replacing rear vs front, two to one.

My 08 Expedition got its first rears ( one pad to the metal ) at 80k, the first fronts at 100k ( just low , not to the metal )

Texases, thanks for the advice. I will bring this up to them Wednesday when they’ll check the car. I have notice vibrating sometimes when I’m breaking - slowing down - and accelerating. I do mostly drive around town dropping and picking kids up from school, gym, etc. We live in Northern Ohio, but I’ll be traveling in a couple weeks, so that’s why I’m concerned.

I appreciate all the responses and support. Thanks everyone.

My theory:
Under hard braking the proportioning valve has to make the front brakes do most of the work because of weight shift to front.
So the fronts have to be bigger, ventilated etc. to handle the heat of heavy use.
But when braking lightly the rears do almost as much work as the fronts.
So the (smaller) rears wear faster if the brakes are used gently most of the time.
Drums have a larger friction pad surface area, compared to disks of the same heat dissipating ability, so they wear more slowly.