KIA Sportage 2009 - 23,400 miles - Replace Rear Brakes

Hi,

I have 23, 400 miles on my Kia Sportage 2009 and just found out I need to replace both of my rear brakes.
They were making grinding noise. Is this a defect? Seems like low mileage to have to replace them?
Also my front brakes are down to 50%. Is this a known KIA issue? Under warranty?
Thanks

It’s indeed unusual to need to replace the rear brakes before ever replacing the front brakes. The front brakes take most of the wear when stopping. My car has 200K miles on it, and while I’ve had the front disc pads changed several times, never needed the rear drum brakes re-done yet.

50% wear on the front brakes at 23k is for the most part normal or even lower than expected wear.

It does seem like low mileage, but it’s not unusual these days for rear brakes to wear out before front brakes. It’s because the rear brakes are so thin from the factory. Saves weight, maybe.

My Acura needed rear brake pads before it needed front pads. First car on which I’ve ever experienced this.

We don’t know where or how you drive your Sportage, so it’s hard to say whether this is excessive wear, or not.

It’s also possible that whoever said you needed new rear brakes needs to make a boat payment.

I would also comment that it is likely that this is due to a ‘hung up’ brake pad. one hung up brake pad can cause premature wear, and grinding like you describe. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence with most any brand. Not that one brand can suffer this, but any hanging brake pad/shoe can cause this happening.

This is a long shot but ask your dealer if it is possible that you might have a defective brake proportioning valve that is not reducing hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes as it should, making them work harder than they should and therefore wearing out sooner. Also, this could make directional control difficult or impossible during a panic stop if the rear brakes lock up before the fronts if you don’t have antilock brakes.

If you have driven on slippery winter roads and had no undue directional control problem when stopping, then the proportioning valve might be OK.