Subaru ad

I do get a kick out of the dogs driving the Subarus - the ‘Barkleys’.

Bing: The $700 engagement ring returned to me in 1973 brought $55 at a pawn shop (jewelry has at least a 1,000% mark-up). I may just have well thrown it in the snow. In 1978 as an Army E2 I received a whopping $354 per month. If I was able to log 4 hours flight time per month riding with the flight surgeons in the old single engine Otter I got a flight pay bonus of $55. I was waiting for my flight systems training class at US Army Intelligence Center And School, Ft. Huachuca AZ. Not really a bad place to be.

ok4450: Our very sustainable huge timber industry was destroyed by tree hugging hippies. Tens of thousands jobs gone and trees dying of disease. Idiots!

In 1970 I think I cleared $80 for the month to start, then worked my way up.

Bing: We were making “righteous bucks” an E1 in 1940 got $21 per month!

Bing, in 69 when I went in, the pay was $75/mo IIRC. I went in as an E3 because I had two years of college and it was $155/mo before taxes. I think I cleared $75 per payday.

Holy cow, an E3? Most of us were college graduates and 21 and still started at the bottom. Cannon fodder back then.

The Partial-Zero Emissions vehicle classification came as a compromise after manufactures had spent hundreds of millions of dollars in an effort to develop zero emission vehicles as required by the California Air Research Board in the 1990’s. The seven largest manufactures were required to sell 2% of their fleet as zero emissions vehicles by 1998. After years of efforts it was concluded that a zero emissions vehicle could not be offered at a competitive price, the zero emission vehicle requirement was eliminated.

Terms such as Partial-Zero Emissions Vehicle, Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle and Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle have been used in the auto industry for ten years, customers may not be familiar with the terms but you can expect to see this in marketing of “clean” vehicles.

Military intelligence? partial zero?

I thought we weren’t allowed to talk about “Politics” … ALL those tags discussed rest firmly in the political spectrum …dont they? Or am I just off my rails again?

Blackbird

Both, @“Honda Blackbird”. And keep up the good work.

Haha

The GM ads are absolutely pathetic. Whatever happened to pleasant ads with happy families and memorable jingles, like “see the USA in your Chevrolet”?

Whatta ya mean? People aren’t interested in screeching around corners and going 60 in the city? Or off road in two feet of snow? Or driving to a state dinner in tuxes and evening gowns? Just marketing to ordinary people. Sarcasm intended. Maybe the marketing folks need to get out and talk to ordinary customers more, just like the beltway boys.

It was kind of interesting, I was watching the NBA announcement and the KIA guy came on who was a long term sponsor. It was just a news flash so I don’t know who it was or the specifics. At any rate all the KIA guy talked about was how they had improved their “brand” and the plans for their “brand” in the future, and so on. I just got the distinct impression that this was not a car guy but a marketing guy. He could be “branding” washing machines, or tooth paste, or candy bars. Wouldn’t make any difference. Henry Ford and Al Sloan would never be talking about their “brand”.

Now the Kia Soul ads with the hamsters… those were IMHO good ads. They left a fun, positive impression in the viewer’s mind and a permanent impression of what it’s associated with. I’ll bet those ads sold a lot of Kias, including Souls.

I find the GM ads insulting. They portray the general public as totally ignorant.

I find most car ads today kind of stupid.

The Prius police chase, really!

The Chevy hiding cars behind a door and asking people to guess who won what award.

Buick trying to say we are not Buick any more and if you are not over 80, you can still drive one (they should have kept Pontiac for the US market and shifted Buick to China where it is doing well).

Ford hacking the TV show “Black List” that you don’t even know whether it is the show or the ad.

I like the Buick as with the pigeons.

I don’t find the GM ads that @“the same Mountainbike” doesn’t like insulting. I am sure that every one of them is real, just as I am sure they did the same situation with several groups and picked the one they liked best.