Strut top noise

“strut plus” assemblies . . . ?

Or just the struts, and you reuse the coils and mounts?

Like I mentioned earlier, I recently installed 4 KYB strut-plus assemblies on my car . . . the strut, coil and mount, all assembled . . . and I feel it was the right choice. And I expect to get that $100 visa card in the next few weeks

Well, struts are worn. Real weak compression ability but fairly good on extension. No mechanical rattle or looseness. But I did finally notice that the caliper bushing are shot. Caliper rattles. Duh. I read that that they wear and cause noise on bumps.

Let’s see, a kickbutt $1M 3 axis shaker machine or $100 set of mechanics ears…decisions, decisions…

1 Like

caliper pins/bushings are fine. new struts. ball joint. control arm bushing. wheel bearing seems good. sway bar is disconnected. bar bushings are fine. no distortion. you would think the lug nuts were loose.

So still no clue what’s causing the rattle? hmmm … poltergeist maybe? :wink:

drove my sisters 08 nox with 104k miles the other day. went 100miles to campground. she has 6 month old tires. seems to ride smoother but i do not have any tire vibrations/shimmy feeling so i am not thinking it is tires. i can feel the road bumps on her nox just like mine but there is no light knock sound. she has original struts. i have new struts. i inspected both of my strut mounts when they were removed from old struts and they seem fine. maybe only an internal/loaded situtation?

I find it amusing that you refer to your Equinox as a “nox”

Every time I see “nox” spelled out, I think of nox, as in oxides of nitrogen :smile:

talked to local shop and they could use chassis ears to track down sound for $60 fee.

Spend $40 more and buy your own set

1 Like

New strut mount. Noise is gone

So the solution was… Replace the strut mount!

So now you’ve replaced the struts and later you did the mounts as well

Did you come out ahead?

My question is this . . .

Add up the cost of the struts and the mounts, and is it less than if you would have bought complete “strut plus” assemblies . . . ?

I know in my case buying the strut plus assemblies was quite a bit cheaper than buying the strut, mount and coil individually

Thanks for the follow-up and the diagnosis & resolution to that pesky pandemonium from the strut mount. Good info.

I don’t mean to be a sour puss, but this story points out the reasons why I no longer buy individual strut components, only the assembled unit, complete with strut, mount and coil spring

One time, my car needed struts, because they were worn out. The mounts and coils were okay, so I just replaced the struts and reused the other stuff

A few months later, the mounts needed replacement

Another time, another car, the same thing happened. The struts were worn, and I replaced just the struts, reusing the other stuff

A few months later a coil spring broke