Strapping head board to the roof of car

I have a 2014 VW Jetta sports wagon I have roof racks and want to know if I can transport a iron Rod headboard with ratchet straps…? Any suggestions?..

As long as it fits and its not too heavy for the roof. The problems I’ve seen is more involving solid pieces like mattresses where they tend to sail in the wind. Just protect the finish and strap tightly.

1 Like

It depends on how far you want to go. I transported a fairly large natural gas wall heater on top of my Corolla 5 miles one time, a big cardboard box, had no difficulty. I think I just used ropes and the standard trucker’s knot to tie it down. I washed the roof surface thoroughly to remove any grit, and placed a thick blanket between the box and the roof surface. I wouldn’t have done it that way if long distances or freeway driving was involved though.

Be sure you secure it well and you’ll be fine. If you can lift it up onto the rack, it shouldn’t be too heavy. Modern crash testing submits cars to far more than your headboard weighs.

1 Like

How did you get the water heater up there and down again? They aren’t exactly light, even empty.

Until we got a station wagon in 1958, we used to carry the duck boat on top of our 54 Ford, on car top carriers though. And my dad had a couple 2x2s that attached to the roof top carriers to be able to slide the boat up and down again. I guess you do what you have to do, but that’s why I’ve got a trailer.

I don’t see a problem with a headboard as long as it is securely fastened. The last thing you want is a iron headboard tearing loose during a collision and decapitating half a dozen people.
I came up on a head on wreck one night and several 5 gallon cans of tar in the bed of a Ranchero went through the cab. It was a hell of a mess in there. Nothing but tar and blood everywhere. The cans went through the back window and took out part of the dash on the way out of the windshield.

Someone on this forum years ago asked about strapping a mattress to the roof of a mini-van in Houston and driving to San Antonio. Some may remember that one.
The consensus was that a mattress is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I’ve hauled similar items on the roof of a car. Use ratcheting straps that are rated to handle that much weight plus some, and tie it down on all sides: right, left, front, and back.

My favorite still has to be the guy with the foam insulation sheets on top with one thin piece of twine in the middle. He never even made it out of the lot.