Strange structural problem in repaired Prius

I vote with those that recommend walking past this one and going back into “search mode”.
I believe that generally if you have concerns about a vehicle with a major accident in its history it’s your common sense trying to tell you that something just doesn’t seem right and you should walk away.

1 Like

All I know now is that the front passenger wheel is closer to the back of the wheel well than is the front driver’s side wheel. It is my conclusion based on the repair work that the right wheel suspension has a setback, a so-called “positive setback”. I have asked the seller to get me a vehicle alignment report so I may get more information.

Measuring from the wheel rim to any part of the body is going to tell you nothing on a car that has been in an accident.
After a front end collision many body lines can be slightly off.

I would have measured from the front wheel center to the rear wheel center…with the wheels straight.
This would have given you a more accurate idea if everything is square or if the frame mat be bent or a steering component.

But I would walk away too.

Yosemite

vehicle alignment report:
front setback -0.2"
rear setback -0.5"
track width difference: 0.8"
wheel base difference: 0.3"
The primary angles and the SAI are within spec.

Does this car have a.salvage title? The. accident seems.pretty severe to me. I would take a pass even if it has a.straight title. Any sign that a.vehicle I am considering was in a bad accident and I run the other way. The fact that it only has 2000 miles on the odometer is irrelevant.

1 Like

Yes it has a salvage title.

The only thing out of spec on the alignment is that the rear left toe should be 0 to 0.3 degrees and it is -0.15 degrees.

I have not seen one reply that thinks you should buy this vehicle. I also think at this point you and only you can decide what to do.

I’m not positive, but I think a salvage title will void any and all manufacturers warranties on this vehicle.

What is Blue Book value of this car if it had a clean title? For it to have a salvage title, the insurance company had to decide that repairing this car was too expensive based on it’s value. That has to be pretty significant damage on a year old car.

I’d keep shopping.

1 Like

Eddo has made excellent points. His advice in this issue is worth following.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input.