Stellantis

These articles date back to 2019, but they would seem to be relevant:

It seems chances for that have dropped:
Stellantis CEO Reveals Peugeot U.S. Fate, Job Security, EV Conflict (forbes.com)

He said "At this stage it is possibly more important to focus on the profitable growth of those brands [ones currently sold in the US], rather than bringing in a new brand on top of what already exists, but weā€™ll see in the future, nothing is final on this matter. At this stage we have no specific final decision for the Peugeot brand in the U.S.ā€

This place is called Fast Fuel (fast filling & fast billing, my dad called it) and is part of the Commercial Fueling Network so you could also fill up any other station that was part of the network, truck stops mainly but now Chevron & Texaco are part of the network, among others. Now mainly fill up at Arco and Costco depending on which is closer at the time.

Agree! Outside the USA Esso was the universal sign on gas pumps. In Canada, Imperial Oil, the local EXXON division has always used ESSO on its gas pumps.

EXXON is a made up name when Esso and Mobil, which were originally part of the Standard Oil monopoly that was broken up, merged. Mobilā€™s real pre-merger name had been SoconyMobil (Standard Oil COmpany of NY).

Yes, I remember the SOCONY signs in Europe besides the ESSO log.

No it wasnā€™t. Exxon name was around decades before the merger with Mobil. Exxon name was around when I got back from Nam. The merger created a name called ExxonMobil.

Exxon name was created due to the different names under the Exxon brand. Esso, Enco, Sohio were all names owned by the now company Exxon.

+1
100% correct.
Essoā€™s name was changed to Exxon in 1973. Exxon didnā€™t merge with Mobil until 1999.

Regardless of the official name, the ESSO signs on the white oval are still universally present around the world. In many English speaking countries, stopping for a coffee at the ā€œESSO Stationā€ is part of the local vocabulary.

1 Like

Coffee from an Esso station? Might taste like what comes out of the gas pump.

Over the pond they are like family truck stops. Yes you get fuel but have food, convenience store items, picnic tables, and so on.

In Canada EXXON sold all their Esso gas distribution to 3 convenience chains; Seven Eleven, Macā€™s Milk, and Husky, I believe. The ESSO signs are still there, but have nothing to do with EXXON anymore.

Naaah, battery acid, just like Navy Coffee.

1 Like

Those are very common in New England.