Static or More Serious

I own a 2014 Fiesta that I bought primarily to tow behind my motorhome. I’ve owned it for about 3 years. Recently while driving with the radio on, I heard a loud “pop” that sounded like something had fallen on the roof. It was so loud that I instinctively ducked. Since then, I intermittently get the pop, though not as loud, and often static of various noise levels. Sometimes the static appears to be from the front speakers and sometimes from the dash/radio itself. Sometimes there is low static even when the radio is off, and it has happened when using sync with the phone. I want it fixed but dread having a Ford shop search for the cause. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

So the Fiesta pops, not the motorhome? Has the pop only occurred with the radio on? Or also off?

The pop has only happened with the radio on, but other noises (static and crackling) with the radio on or off. This only happens when driving; has nothing to do with the RV.

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| Mustangman
May 29 |

• | - |

So the Fiesta pops, not the motorhome? Has the pop only occurred with the radio on? Or also off?

I wonder if towing the vehicle behind the motor home builds static electricity because the tires contain less carbon black?

Maybe try installing a ground strap to the towed vehicle?

Tester

Why do you"dread" having this looked at by a Ford dealer?

Audio system popping and cracking is usually caused by a malfunctioning audio system amplifier however a vehicle in this price class would not have a separate amplifier.

It would seem that the radio is malfunctioning, unless Ford found a way to combined speaker wiring with an unrelated circuit.

Is the radio antenna on top of the car where the initial loud pop and further ongoing pops are occuring? Perhaps there is a problem with the antenna resulting in the issue with the radio when on and ongoing static noise through the speakers even when the radio is off.

A similar problem with static noise through the speakers with the radio on or off occurred years ago in one of my cars caused by the alternator going bad. And another car owned in my family had a similar problem due to a loose grounding strap.

Inside the audio system there’s a ribbon connector that’s between the radio and the cd changer part of the audio system, a bad connection there seems to be the source of the noise for Focus and Fiesta owners of this era. Sound’s like most ford dealers don’t know how to fix this but from the forums it just requires someone who knows how to pull the radio and look inside.

Many thanks! I’ll look into this.

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| wolyrobb
May 29 |

• | - |

Inside the audio system there’s a ribbon connector that’s between the radio and the cd changer part of the audio system, a bad connection there seems to be the source of the noise for Focus and Fiesta owners of this era. Sound’s like most ford dealers don’t know how to fix this but from the forums it just requires someone who knows how to pull the radio and look inside.

Thank you! It did at first sound like it came from the roof antenna.

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| Marnet
May 29 |

• | - |

Is the radio antenna on top of the car where the initial loud pop and further ongoing pops are occuring? Perhaps there is a problem with the antenna resulting in the issue with the radio when on and ongoing static noise through the speakers even when the radio is off.

A similar problem with static noise through the speakers with the radio on or off occurred years ago in one of my cars caused by the alternator going bad. And another car owned in my family had a similar problem due to a loose grounding strap.

Many thanks

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| Nevada_545
May 29 |

• | - |

Audio system popping and cracking is usually caused by a malfunctioning audio system amplifier however a vehicle in this price class would not have a separate amplifier.

It would seem that the radio is malfunctioning, unless Ford found a way to combined speaker wiring with an unrelated circuit.

Generally, having a dealer investigate intermittent problems is a recipe for $$$

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| old_mopar_guy
May 29 |

• | - |

Why do you"dread" having this looked at by a Ford dealer?

Good thought. I’ll do that.

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| Tester
May 29 |

• | - |

I wonder if towing the vehicle behind the motor home builds static electricity because the tires contain less carbon black?

tires3.com

4 Things About Tires You May Not Have Known at tires3.com

Tires all look sort of the same…round and black…and people tend to think tires don’t change much over the years. That’s really not true, though…

Maybe try installing a ground strap to the towed vehicle?

Wish

### Car Anti-Static Belt Strap Car Safety Ground Wire Reflective Earth Belt | Wish

Buy Car Anti-Static Belt Strap Car Safety Ground Wire Reflective Earth Belt at Wish - Shopping Made Fun

Tester

Tester

just a thought…I have had a speaker wire that got a cut in it, and it would ground out causing a crackle or pop. also you can have a loose connection somewhere with a speaker wire did you notice if it did it over a bump or rough road?

many thanks

Regards,
Gary Elmore

| weekend-warrior
May 29 |

• | - |

just a thought…I have had a speaker wire that got a cut in it, and it would ground out causing a crackle or pop.

I would really love to find out if you were able to fix the static problem from the radio in your ford fiesta. I had to remove my radio and now I have to listen to music through a bluetooth speaker. Any suggestions?