State inspection before selling my Volvo V40?

I am selling my 2000 Volvo V40 and have recently taken it to a local garage found with car talk car mechanic finder. The car needs 2 major repairs: to replace the tumbler as the car does not start and to replace the rotor brake pads (for a total of $635). My state inspection ends at the end of October-- the garage suggested I sell the car with the inspection for the coming year. In order to have an ‘ok’ on the inspection, I need to replace right front and rear marker light ($80), replace the right inner taillight bulb($2), replace windshield wipers (I have some at home), and lube service (not sure about the cost of that one). My question is: if I plan to sell this car before the end of the month, do I need to get an inspection done? Is it worth the extra cost? Will it be easier to sell the car/ recup the costs (again this is a 2000 Volvo V40 with 121 K)? Thanks again for all your help!

It will be much easier in general to sell a vehicle with a current inspection sticker. It sounds like $100 of work, I think “lube” service is another name for regular oil change.

If the car does not start don’t expect much for the car or a sale within a month as it is a very risky buy. I would get it running. Majority of buyers out there for a vehicle in this price range are not out to buy problems. There are so many running choices without the unknowns and hassles.

I have no idea, what is a “tumbler”? Anyway you have to able to start the car and show a buyer it runs. That is one fix for sure.

The brake job is a toss up. If it won’t pass inspection, then get it done and show the prospective buyers the brakes are new. Can you replace the bulbs yourself? Bulbs are cheap, if you get to the socket it should be easy. Volvo owner’s manuals give good details on changing bulbs. Perhaps a friend or family member can help you. For a couple of beers someone can change the bulbs.

A recent inspection in most states is good insurance that the car can be registered without additional expense. This is a good selling point and worth the effort to document the car will pass inspection.

If the car is due for an oil change do it. If it was done less than 3,000 miles ago don’t bother. If the oil is very black and looks bad, change it. At 3,000 miles most oil in modern cars is still pretty clear.