Starting Issues

I have a 1997 Nissan 200sx se. I recently had trouble starting the car and replaced a battery. The old battery was tested and checked out “good”. The intermitent starting problem is still present with new battery.

The starter is the full age of the car, as is the ignition, and the clutch pedal sensor button under the clutch pedal. The car starts 95% of the time and runs great.

I don’t see how this could be the starter, maybe dust in the ignition? or the clutch pedal sensor? I know a clutch won’t start unless it detects it’s fully depressed, which is my mood when this happens.

Maybe you can help me narrow down the problem? Thanks!

Exactly what happens when you turn the key?

The radio and accessories power up and the starter does not make a sound. Then if I re-insert the key or try turning the ignition a few more times it usually starts on the 3rd or 4th attempt, at which point the starter turns over and the engine fires. Of course I am also letting the clutch back out and depressing with each new attempt.

Sounds like a lock out switch or an ignition switch.

…or starter solenoid. Test this by applying 12V to the solenoid, with the ignition off and the trans in neutral. If every time you do this the starter motor turns over the engine, it and its solenoid are OK.