Start Issues 92 Honda Accord, Help please!

I have a 92 honda accord with 247,000 m. She has been having start problems for about three weeks now, where she will either not start at all, or catch for one or two cycles and then die, and then not start again. I’ve found that sometimes i can go back 5-10 minutes later and she’ll start right up, but sometimes not so much. I started adding Seafoam every other tank of gas and that seemed to help most of the time (but not all the time), but now i’m adding it every tank and if i don’t, she pretty consistently will not start. Once she is running, there are no issues, so i don’t think its the fuel pump. The distributor and spark plugs are only 9 months old, the starter sounds fine, i believe it to be a fuel related problem… fuel injectors? fuel filter?

And maybe this is true, or maybe it’s just my superstitions, but it seems that she is less likely to start up when its hot out, or if she’s parked in the beating sun.

Also, someone recommended buying no ethanol fuel, although its tough to find around here…

Does any one have any thoughts on this??

No. it is probably not your superstitions that are to blame.
More than likely, the problem is the classic Honda Main Relay failure that takes place when the interior of the car gets very hot.

The only solution is to replace the Main Relay. If you don’t want to go to a mechanic for this very simple job, let us know and we can guide you through the process of unplugging the old relay and plugging in the new one.

Should I check to see if i have fuel pressure before i jump into changing the relay? If i have fuel pressure, that would mean that the main relay is working and is turning on the fuel pump correct?

I’m thinking i can check to see if i have fuel pressure this afternoon as she is sitting out in the hot sun right now :slight_smile:

thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated. never would have thought of the relay.

This a common problem with Honda vehicles. The PGM-FI relay http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1184219&cc=1167162 Program-Fuel Injection relay solder joints crack causing poor connections. When the interior of the vehicle reaches extreme temperatures these solder joints open and computer/fuel pump gets no power so the engine doesn’t start.

The relay is located behind the dash above the drivers left knee.

Tester

Along those^ thoughts, here’s some more info:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay

If you know your way around a soldering iron, the relay can often be repaired.

Just want to say thanks for all the help, i found the main relay online for $30, it took ten days to come and a little over an hour to change the part. Fixed the problem completely. you all saved me a bunch of money i think :slight_smile: thanks alot!