Squealing sound from under hood

Thanks! But I’ll leave it to the professionals.

1 Like

Let us know the outcome. I have $20 riding on the serpentine belt and tensioner.
I hope for you, it is not something else.

Just so you’re aware, most things related to the belt are relatively inexpensive and quick repairs but if it quits during your commute you’re looking at being stranded, an expensive tow and probably an Uber ride home and back.

Give your mechanic the time to do it right

1 Like

I’ll let you know the outcome.

Well, they replaced the serpentine belt and the car does sound quieter. I asked the service rep if it needed anything else replaced like pulleys or tensioners, and her reply was “We only fix what’s the most obvious problem. We start with that.”

In the tech’s notes on the invoice it said “Serpentine belt is slightly starting to crack. Recommend replacement as starting point.”

When dirt/sand collects in the drive belt groves, the belt will make a continuous squeak but not extremely loud. If the belt was loose due to a mechanical problem the belt would likely squeal very loud during start-up and when accelerating. Seems that your car had a dirty belt.

It did squeak very loud on start up and when accelerating. That’s exactly what the symptoms were.

The tech notes said "Serpentine belt appears slightly cracked. Recommend replacement. "

That’s not true anymore.

Tester

That is not what you posted. In the original post you stated the belt is squealing “as I’m driving along”, is that continuous or while accelerating?

I had the same problem with our 2003 Toyota 4Runner when it was brand new and under warranty. The serpentine belt was replaced. The repair lasted about 2 days and the belt started squeaking again. We took it back to the dealer. Another new serpentine belt was installed. Two days later it was squeaking again. Not only was the belt squeaking, but the engine was leaking oil. The belt had been improperly installed and the crankshaft oil seal was pulled loose. When we got the 4Runner back, the oil leak was fixed, but again the belt started squeaking. This time, I came armed with the state’s lemon law. After negotiating with the dealer I agreed to give them one more chance. I insisted they keep the 4Runner until it was repaired and provide us with a loaner vehicle. This time the service department figured out it was the belt tensioner. That was the problem. We still have the 4Runner and it has been very trouble free and reliable.
My suggestion is that if the new belt starts squeaking, check the belt tensioner.

1 Like

I would say continuous (which includes all of these: regular driving along, starting the car with the key and acceleration deceleration etc

With the mileage you have, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to also have the tensioner replaced. That is not a complicated or expensive job. Tensioners wear out.

Replacing the belt tensioner will cost $300 to $400.

So everyone, they charged me $150 total to replace the serpentine belt. Is that a good price?

I had a feeling they didn’t even look at the tensioner because it was getting late in the work day before they put my car on the rack and they wanted to go home. I brought my car in for the appointment on time at 10:30 in the morning and they didn’t start working on it until 2:30 pm. Just sat in the lot while they worked on other people’s cars.

You are in Hawaii everything is expensive there . I guess you could call a few places but why bother ? All it might do is make you feel bad.

They started at 2:30 pm and were done between 3:30-4 pm at the latest

If the belt does start squeaking again I will definitely bring it back and have them check the tensioner. Thanks for the heads up