Squeaking/Exhaling when braking

Hi–

I know this was discussed on the show, but I can’t remember the recommendation.

When I brake, there is almost an exhale sound. It’s kind of a squeak, kind of an exhale. We’ve had it in to the dealer (under warranty) twice, and they said it’s not a problem. I remember something about holding the brake pedal and adjusting it to the side, but I’m hoping someone else heard it and remembered the details.

If it helps, I have a 2010 Honda Pilot with about 9,000 miles, but I think the radio question was about another car.

Also, this is my first time posting so if I’ve left something out or done something wrong, go easy on me.

Thanks!

If you are hearing something that sounds like someone exhaling, that could indicate a leak in the vacuum reservoir for the power braking system. Certainly this is something that would be covered by warranty, as would essentially everything else on a 2010 vehicle with only 9k miles on the odometer. And, that would be the case whether the vehicle is a Honday, a Honda, a Hyundai, or any other make of vehicle.

As to “holding the brake pedal and adjusting it to the side”, please don’t even attempt anything like this strange recommendation. If the dealership is not responsive to your complaint, then you need to refer the problem to Honda (I assume that is the make of your vehicle) at the corporate level. Contact info can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

What you want to do is one of two things. First, just go out there and work the brake pedal to try to figure out where the noise is coming from. Use an assistant if you have to. My brake pedal is kind of loud right not and its just the noise the return spring is making and has nothing to do with actual brake function. If you don’t want to do that or try but can’t figure it out, go back to the dealer and have an actual mechanic (not the “service manager” dope behind the desk) explain to you exactly what is making the noise. They should also be able to show you. Then they should also be able to explain / make clear to your satisfaction exactly why “it’s not a problem.”

Anyone else remember the show? I will push the mechanics, but it’s been in twice, and we didn’t get anywhere.

Thanks!