Sprinkler water damage

Hi!

I live in an apartment complex where they can’t control the sprinklers. My car gets hit every morning by rust water. It has turned my hood and front part of my car from white to a rust, yellow color. I have had estimates done to get rid of this color from anywhere from $100-$600. I had the work done for $300. My apartment complex has been very stubborn and got a quote that this could be done by a local dealership for $50. My apartment complex is only willing to give me $59 for damages.

Did I pay too much or is my apartment complex giving me the runaround?

You can only find out by going the dealership and getting an estimate from them. Clearly state the landlord’s position and see what their estimate says. Follow up from there with landlord. I would also have my own comprehensive insurance and let my own insurance company handle the negotiations with your landlord.

The work is done now. You can probably only get $50 from them. But don’t worry. Your car will be yellow again in no time. Then you should take them up on their $50 fix. If it doesn’t work, then tell them to try again, and that you know where they can get it done for $300. Then again, you must not be the only person with this problem. Maybe the landlord has a volume discount somewhere.

Why don’t you park your car where the sprinkler don’t hit it?

Just curious, but if the water is that bad then what’s happening with drinking water, water used in cooking, and washing clothes, especially whites?

ok4500, many places, including the office park I work at, use reclaimed water for landscape watering. Basically water from a retention pond or other storm run-off collection devices. Many municipalities are offering big tax breaks and incentives for these developments to use that instead of tap water from the nearby water mains. But, they have no incentive to control the quality of this reclaimed water . And they label it ‘non-potable water’ to warn people.

Even if it wasn’t reclaimed water, some areas such as in northern Minnesota have a high iron content in the water. You can taste the iron and it does discolor. Yeah either park someplace else or frequent waxing and polishing is all you can do unless you use a car cover.

I had never considered the possibility of this being a MN locale but that could explain rust colored water. Even aged water lines could do it. The OP might elaborate on exactly where that water is coming from.

Around here anyway, the problem is nitrates for the most part and the water is very hard. Wash a car here without a spot free rinse or by failing to wipe it down by hand and the car will be left with white blotches all over it.

I’m in agreement with mcparadise about maybe finding another place to park since this is supposedly happening every morning.