Flooded car

We had some major storm come thru Oklahoma last nite and my car wound up with standing water in all the floorboards. I can see a water, grass and dirt line in the engine compartment, along with the water stain marks on the carpet in the flooboard. Now, I’ve already contacted my insurance agent and they’re due out Tuesday to look at it. Is there anything I need to do, ask, or prepare for with this going on???

Other than electrics, one thing that is often overlooked is potential damage to brakes, wheel bearings, CV axles (if so equipped), and suspension parts.
This is not noticeable to the eye and is often dismissed, but down the road in several months, or even several years, problems may crop up in any of those areas due to water seepage into those parts.

Having all of that replaced now to prevent this problem later may become a sticky issue between you and the insurance adjuster or agent.
I’m only speaking from a technical standpoint and they will probably blow this off as a non-issue.
To me, it’s an issue; now or later.

Thank you so much for letting me know that. When I bought the car, the first thing I looked at was the rotors, to see if it’s been flooded or not. So now they are rusted due to sitting in water for around 15 hrs. I’m just taking notes from everyone and reading everything I can on the web, before my insurance adjuster gets here on Tuesday. I’ll ask about that and see what else they have to say about what can and cannot be fixed. I’d like to get everything fixed, especially if I pay my deductible, but I guess we’ll see when that time comes!

Hope and pray that the insurance company declares the vehicle a total loss.

Cars that have been in deep water usually become problematic. Water in the interior, even if it does not damage the electronics, can cause mold and mildew even with the standard “detailing.”

The padding underneath the carpet is a sponge-like material that can hold moisture almost indefinitely, and unless it is removed from the vehicle and dried/cleaned, it will become moldy and smelly.

Cars that have been flooded should be considered a loss. Don’t try to keep this vehicle if you can help it.

Rusted rotors mean nothing. They will rust a little bit overnight in humid air. As soon as you drive the car and use the brakes the rotors are cleaned of rust. Forget the rotors, they are not an issue.

There are much more serious things to worry about with a flood car. MANY more serious things.

Flood water deposits dirt, debris, and things you can’t imagine into the smallest little spaces. And this stuff sits there. You can’t see it, you can’t wash it away, you don’t even know it’s there, but it is, and it will begin to decay, and can cause nasty odors, corrosion, electrical problems, etc.

Flood cars are not something you want to keep.

Thank you so much!! All the reading is telling me what you’ve said, so I’m hoping that they will total it, even though it doesn’t seem like much damage. But, as all the websites and everyone else telling me, there is always more then you can see. It just sucks that I haven’t even had the car for 4-5 mths. So, between the payoff and the GAP insurance, if they total it, then I’m praying I can get something that was just as nice as what I had. I really hate car shopping! As for the mold and musty smell, it’s already smelling. With this 100+ degree weather, it’s not helping much at all. I wish I could just leave the doors open all day, but I can’t since I live in an apt complex. I can’t risk the chance of cracking the windows, due to the rain coming and going throughout the day.