"spring ahead", changing the clock in your car

When I had the opportunity to critique our Acura, I said the dashboard controls were terrible. I said just look at GM and do it that way. Push a radio push button to set the station, turn the knob to change stations, push the info key to scroll driver information, etc. None of this up or down to this page, that page and this menu that menu. I agree the Japanese need to get over their fetish with computer controls.

On the 2015 Forester There is a daylight savings time setting in the date menu. On is spring forward,off is fall back. Once you know were the setting is it’s pretty easy. It could be lots easier but I’ve seen worse and much more annoying means of setting the clock in a car (Hold the little button down while the minutes advance and eventually you’d get to fast forward (1990 Mazda Protoge)

You would think that for safety, these companies would make the clock, a pre-set station and other things easy and simple to do on the cars radio.
There are enough people that text and drive, it wouldn’t bother those to be looking at a menu on the radio screen as they scream down the highway.

Yosemite

On the 20+ year old Corolla with the standard am/fm unit, what appears to be the obvious way to set the time – using the “set” button in conjunction with the “up” and “down” arrow buttons – doesn’t work. All that does is change the channel. Instead you have to use the “set” button in conjunction with the “sto” and “rcl” buttons. That, plus the fact that all three of those buttons only get used twice a year for time changes means even if you remember which buttons to use it likely won’t work b/c the switch contacts are dirty from non-use. So all in all it’s another of my semi-annual daylight savings challenges.

It would be interesting to know if there were a greater number of accidents on the Monday morning after DST took effect (and went off) as frustrated drivers remembered that they really weren’t a hour late (or early) and attempted to reset their clocks.

Accidents, yes, but from lack of sleep. The very tiny benefits of DST aren’t worth it.

“There are enough people that text and drive, it wouldn’t bother those to be looking at a menu on the radio screen as they scream down the highway.”

On my car, everything other than radio station pre-sets is “grayed-out” or locked-out once the vehicle is in motion. When the car is stationary, I can access the navigation system, the clock’s DST/EST setting, the graphic equalizer, the index of stored phone numbers, the calculator, and some other functions, but once the car is moving, everything except the radio station pre-sets is unavailable.

I would be very surprised if other manufacturers didn’t do things the same way that it is handled by Subaru.

Does anyone really know what time it is - CHICAGO 25 or 6 to 4

Chicago Transit Authority (later name changed to Chicago after the actual Chicago Transit Authority complained and I think filed suit) from their first album “Chicago Transit Authority” but you did have the year right. Sorry but I just had to, they are one of my favorite groups of all time.

And on another note does anyone with more than one clock or watch really know what time it is??

Oh how I wish…
Clocks could all be as simple as my bedside alarm clock.
ONE switch
DST or not…click !

^
That is exactly how it works on my 2011 Outback, Ken.
Didn’t you read my earlier post in this thread?

I have one button for hours and one for minutes on my 2013 Rav4. It takes seconds to reset the hours. I just don’t know how to reel in the 400 mile long extension cord.

MY big beef with clocks…on about every alarm clock I’ve ever had, the difference between “AM” and “PM” is a TINY red dot! Well, those nights (ahem) in which you most NEED an alarm the next morning…are the exact same nights you’d probably look right over a feature as subtle as a little dot!

(Really, this has bit my butt more than once.)

I think you should at least have the option of setting any alarm clock to 24-hr time. Good luck getting AM and PM mixed up then!

MY big beef with clocks...on about every alarm clock I've ever had, the difference between "AM" and "PM" is a TINY red dot! Well, those nights (ahem) in which you most NEED an alarm the next morning...are the exact same nights you'd probably look right over a feature as subtle as a little dot!

And then on some the red dot is for AM and others for PM.

My Kia has 1 H button and 1 M button. One push for DST eleven pushes for ST which really wears me out! My bedside clock radio has a fair sized green dot for PM. Or is it for AM? Oh wait! I’m retired. It doesn’t really matter.

What agency would we lobby to have a federal clock standard? The only solution I see (tongue in cheek).

My car has an analog clock with exactly one button. You hold it down and the hands begin to sweep around. After a few seconds they speed up like your life going by after age 40. “Spring Forward” is easy. “Fall back” requires going all the way around the clock.

Isn’t about time we got rid of daylight savings time anyways? After all it is a bit outdated and unnecessary.

Then there’s the year-round DST lobby:

Remember, this was tried in '74 during the oil embargo.

Yep that’s me. I’m all for doing it all year round. What difference does it make? But I’d do two hours instead of one so its still light out at 11:00 at night. I never get up when its still dark out anyway. Changing clocks twice a year is silly. Whoever determined that noon is noon anyway? The cows will adjust.

I remember the big outcry was the grade-schoolers waiting for the bus in the dark.