Southern Gas Shortage

There’s a company here with 2 stations that still offers individual accounts, as well as corporate. We had one with them during the Diesel Rabbit days of the 1980’s and you got a bill in the mail a day or two after filling up. They allow you to limit purchases to a certain grade (Regular only) and how many gallons at a time are allowed. Now you can use your credit or debit card as well. 1980’s you could only use one of their cards.

1 Like

Come to think of it, there are fuel companies I know of that sell fuel only via account, and they take both personal customers and B2B.

https://www.comoflorida.com/

Ours is Fast Fuel owned by the Acme Fuel company, used to be only by account but now they take most credit or debit cards.

1 Like

The pipeline delivers fuel to the tank farms and airports, regional storage tanks can store a 45 day supply.

The problem was that the delivery system did not have back-up drivers and tanker trucks to meet customer demand. The media seems to do a good job at fueling panic and riots. Colonial pipeline does not ship from storage tanks to gas stations.

3 Likes

It’s seems more like they don’t understand the supply system than that media intentionally reported it wrong, if that’s what you are saying.

1 Like
'DarkSide is a so-called ransomware-as-a-service enterprise, meaning that it does not actually perform the labor of carrying out cyberattacks. Instead, it provides affiliated hackers with a range of services, from handling negotiations to processing payments. It had a blog and a user-friendly interface for hackers to upload and publish stolen information.'
'Ransomware as a service, like the modern tech economy as a whole, has evolved to account for a high degree of specialization, with each participant in the marketplace providing discrete skills. An operation such as DarkSide's attack against Colonial Pipeline begins with an individual or team of hackers known as "individual access brokers," who penetrate a target company's network. From that point, another hacker moves laterally to the domain controller, the server in charge of security and user access, and installs the ransomware code there. (DarkSide, among its many services, has offered its own brand of malware for locking and extracting data.) Once a victim's servers have been breached and its computer systems frozen, the hackers hand things over to the operators of a ransomware-as-a-service outfit, who manage everything else'
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-hacking-became-a-professional-service-in-russia

I live in the south. the governors said don’t panic and top off tanks and that’s what everyone did. the pipeline was shut down due to hacking. We were without gas for about a week. I paid 3.59 for non-ethanol gas and 3.69 for premium. I was on 1/4 tank so I needed gas. Most of the stations were out for 50 miles from where I lived. They gave stats that said only 33% were out etc… but that was a lie. Gas was stuck at colonial and couldn’t be delivered via the pipe to distributors. Just be thankful you didn’t live here and had to go a week or so without gas and when it was delivered, there were lines to get some.

The pipeline was shutdown to preserve the company’s profits because their billing system had been hacked. At no time did the hackers make it unsafe to transport oil through the pipeline.

1 Like

+1
According to the later reports, that is correct. Colonial apparently attempted to portray this as a safety issue, when it was really an issue of not being able to do accurate billing until they were able to circumvent the malicious software that had been installed by the hackers.

1 Like

After 4.4 mil payout business as usual.

My car has an 11.6 gallon tank. I like it like that – 450+ miles on a good day.

I hate to add this but the news today is now warning of a nation-wide food shortage due to the drought. What drought? What next, grasshoppers, black plague, alien invaders? Those dang Russians.

It’s already here! :grinning:
( and just a reminder to hose off your radiator.)

No sign of them yet in SE WI!

They’re not in my town either, but a few days ago I drove to Princeton (only about 15 miles away) , where the Cicada noise was almost deafening! It turns out that the Cicada problem is the worst in areas where there hasn’t been widespread development over the years. Princeton is pristine, but my town developed in the '90s, and because of that difference, Princeton has the problem, but I don’t.

1 Like

We don’t have them yet in Cherry Hill either.

Most of the West is under severe drought.

Current Map | U.S. Drought Monitor (unl.edu)

We’re under a moderate drought conditions. But it’s also expected to get worse.

1 Like

For several weeks, we had a rain deficit in NJ of ~ 2 inches for the season, but our recent 5 days of rain–including yesterday’s gulley washer–have put our reservoirs back on track. Didn’t you get any rain in NH over the past few days?

Latest:

1 Like

This is the year for Brood X of cicadas. AKA the great eastern brood. From NC to New England this is their year, and they won’t be seen for another 17 years. There are other broods, but I suspect that this one gets a lot of press because the Northeast Corridor is ground zero for them. They have never preen in WI and probably never will be. If you have cicadas, it’s a different group.

1 Like