Solution for EV range anxiety: a small trailer with a generator?

No, that does not make sense. A road that is not driven upon will last centuries. The heavier the vehicles traveling the road, the more damage and the sooner it’s eventual failure.

If we all rode bicycles on the road, our great, great, great, great, great grandchildren would have to replace the road.

If we all drove fully loaded cement trucks, the road wouldn’t last 5 years.

The engineers say a Telsa3 will do 3.81x more damage than a corolla…that’s 3.81x more repairs and a significant reduction in the life of the road as it becomes one giant patch job incapable of further repairs.

Ps.
Expected life of a concrete roadway is 25 years. Telsa3 vs. Corolla is going to require more frequent roadway replacement…this in not being included into the “greenness” calculations of EV’s.

If, say, 90% of road wear is caused by heavy trucks, swapping a Tesla for a Corolla will have next to zero impact.

And a Tesla carting around 1000 pounds of batteries only matters to the extent that it increases electricity use. But that increased use still results in far less overall CO2 emissions than the Corolla’s gasoline use.

1 Like

No, it does not.

The linked study says 17-30% CO2 reduction; but that does not take into account all of the amounts of CO2 that EV’s generate beyond ICE.

I’ve listed just a few of them…increased tire size and shortened life, increased road repairs and replacement, and on and on, these are increases in CO2 beyond ICE and they are not in the calculations for CO2 reduction…if they were, that 17-30% would be approaching ZERO…the cult cannot accept such heresy…

In China, 5 year old EV’s are heading for the salvage yard…horrendous waste of resources.

It seems reasonable to ask any gov’t that intends to ban the sale of new ICE equipped vehicles for a detailed description of its transition plans. i.e. how will these be handled, and the numbers for their projected affect on air quality and greenhouse gasses?

• electric grid capacity
  • road damage
  • loss of gasoline taxes
  • vehicle affordability

Maybe such a plan already exists that covers each of these points in a clear, non-obfuscated, unbiased & scientific-controlled-tested already?

1 Like

The Snowman will not stop posting the same nonsense and now his brother TheOldDays is doing the same . Holy Blocking Time Batman !!!

5 Likes

Well, I did suggest that he “give it a rest”, but he subsequently told someone who disagreed with him to “put down the pipe”, which is surely not a polite or appropriate response. “The pipe” is definitely not a reference to copper tubing.
I agree that it is time for blocking.

Been there, done that.

I was wondering the same thing if they was kin. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If you and your toadies block the replies from those you disagree with, this will be a benefit to the community. The chronic complaints will finally stop.

2 Likes

TheOldDays has done well at researching information and posting it here in a well written way. But TheOldDays doesn’t seem to understand practical physics and engineering math.

If a Corolla causes 1 cent of road damage, and a Tesla causes 4 cents of road damage, and a semi truck $10 in road damage, then the difference between the Corolla and the Tesla is insignificant.

It’s like saying that cars with big tires are bad for the environment because they take twice as much air to inflate. But since the cost of the compressed air to inflate the tires is under 1 cent, it doesn’t matter. Percentage wise it’s twice, which is terrible, if you look at it that way.

1 Like

I’ve already responded to you in my first post. My position hasn’t changed in the past couple of days.

I have grandchildren and they need to breathe, too.

1 Like

What?
Say a road (dedicated for Corolla’s only:) has to be replaced every 4,000,000 miles that are traveled upon it.
You would need to replace that road 4x times if all the cars were Model3’s instead of Corolla’s.

Adding 1000 pounds to your vehicle will hardly change your highway cruising fuel economy.

Take a 3,000lb car, add 1,000 pounds to it’s weight, your highway mpg will “hardly change”…lol…25% more weight will “hardly change” your highway mpg?

What does does going from 3k to 4k do for city mpg…lol.

How can you say this?

If the road damage from cars is “insignificant”, then why do we have road use taxes on gasoline?

Why not end the tax on gasoline and shift it all to diesel?

Because…road damage from cars is not “insignificant”…and adding 25% to weight of cars is definitely going to show up in the condition of the roads.

PS. They want to ban diesel trucks too…Off the top of my head, a Hummer battery weighs something like 3000lbs…I will look this up when I have time.

That is nonsense. Asphalt breaks down over time from freeze-thaw cycles as well as UV exposure. My driveway needs to be replaced. The traffic on it is inconsequential compared to environmental damage over a relatively short period of time. This kind of exaggeration only hurts your other arguments…

4 Likes

Ah to heck with it, I’m getting a horse, the emissions are biodegradable.

3 Likes

No, don’t do it!
The steel horseshoes will cause more wear to the road surface than a Corolla would!
:wink:

6 Likes

Noooo… Horses bad… CO2 out the front, methane out the rear, piles of fertilizer releasing more CO2 as it “cooks down” … :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

So that semi trucks can be used to transport goods on the roads instead of on rail roads where heavy cargo should be. Same reason why my property tax goes to paying for roads. Here all the vehicle taxes only pay for about half of the road costs. Property taxes, sales taxes, and light passenger vehicle taxes go to pay for roads that get destroyed by semi trucks. The oil companies like it this way. Rail roads are more efficient and don’t use as much fuel.

If you point this out to people they usually say that it needs to be this way so that we can have cheap goods. Prices would go up if semi trucks had to pay their fair share to cover road damage. You don’t want higher prices in stores do you? Higher passenger vehicle taxes and property taxes are needed to subsidize the cost of imported goods in stores is what they’re saying!

I think the 4th power road damage formula is only valid for very heavy axle loads. As someone said already, their driveway needs to be repaired and it hardly gets any use.

1 Like

They have rubber horseshoes for show horses I don’t know if there is a big difference in the price.

Yes, but think of the energy that it takes to manufacture those rubber horseshoes. A true environmental disaster in the making!
:wink:

Hmmm… Should I follow this up with 10 more irrationally irate posts saying essentially the same thing?
You know… beating a dead horse?
:smirk:

4 Likes