Smart Car

Would I fit into one? Perhaps once…I’d be stuck there for life!

But you get my point. If she wants one, and can afford one, than why should we discourage her?
After all, the only real difference between being considered eccentric and being considered crazy is net worth. Rich people act strange and they’re called eccentric. I act strange and I’m called crazy!

I think there’s a big demand for this kind of small car. I don’t think “Smart” has quite the right recipe though. ThoseSmart cars don’t get the super-good gas mileage you’d think they would, and since you’l lhave to suffer a bit from the narrow wheel base effects, at least you should get excellent gas mileage in return. Smart does have the advantage of a small turning radius, but how often will you need that? Not often at all unless you do mostly major city driving on narrow streets and where parking is a problem, like in NYC, Boston, San Francisco. But Smart may be ok for you, don’t discount it on account of my opinion. Suggest you look at the Toyota Yaris, and the C version of the Prism, the Chevy Aveo (I drove one of these as a rental and wasn’t overly impressed-- it tried to be more than it was, but it may have improved since then), the mini-Cooper, and there’s a new small Fiat that looks nicely styled I’ve seen driving down the road. Compare them all, give them a drive, look at what Consumer’s Reports says about their reliablity, get some price quotes, then choose the one that suits you best. Small cars are the way of the future, so good on you.

Hubby is right…They are simply not worth the money…

I’d say ignore all the folks telling you the Smart is a bad car (for whatever reasons) without driving it for yourself, and sizing it up against your own needs. It’s no Volvo, but the car is safer than anything we were driving back in the 1970s and 1980s. Don’t head-on into anybody, but that goes for driving any vehicle.

I test drove the Smart back in January because I was curious, and was favorably impressed – tested it both on city roads and going 70mph down a highway in heavy traffic. It had a zippy, high-performance feel despite being an underpowered econobox… I’ve also test driven some low-end four-seaters, and found them a really dull, unresponsive driving experience. Driving the Smart is weird because of the auto-manual transmission and floor-mount brake pedal, but I had a blast with it. I’d consider buying one.

HOWEVER, the shocks are stiff and the wheelbase is short, so bumpy roads are merciless on the Smart. ALSO, realize that you are marrying the nearest Smart/Mercedes-Benz dealership if you choose to buy this car. Parts & labor are going to cost you. Those are two big downsides to think about very carefully.

I second Doubleclutch…One thing many don’t realize is that these mini cars are LESS economical on the highway then longer cars. They have the built in poor aerodynamics in the same way a longer boat given similar hull designs as a shorter one, travels thought the water more efficiently. If you ever plan on taking trips, slightly longer cars like Corolla, Civics, Versa etc. can actually get better highway mileage. Consider these “jokes for cars” only if smaller overall size is a requirement. Otherwise, IMO, you will tire of their inefficiencies.

Call me a BIG fool!
I’ve had a smart car for close to 8 years and it’s the best damm car I’ve ever owned.
The majority of the times it is just me in the car going to work and there is lots of room. In fact the majority of the critics have never been in one and have closed minds when it comes to new ideas.

My smart car easily maintains the posted 70mph speed and I have travelled all over the USA- NY, Florida, Chicago, Niagara falls, Yellowstone National park, Washington state, etc. I save so much in fuel that I can stay in very nice hotels.

Mine is powered by a 800cc diesel and it is very easy to get over 60mpg. For some strange reason the gov’t here determined that this engine was too polluting and it isn’t available. However it is still used in those crowded Europeon cities and in ideal conditions is able to get 100mpg.

Loving my smart car!!!

smart142–

I agree that the diesel Smart Car is undoubtedly superior to the gasoline-powered ones that we get here in The US. Am I correct in assuming that your car also has a “conventional manual” transmission, rather than the “automated manual” that comes on US Smarts?

The automated manual has been criticized by every magazine that tested the car, so if you don’t have to deal with that type of equipment, that could help to explain your high level of satisfaction.

@smart142 - “Mine is powered by a 800cc diesel and it is very easy to get over 60mpg. For some strange reason the gov’t here determined that this engine was too polluting and it isn’t available.”

Well, you have a different car - is yours the manual? If so, you’ve solved the 2 biggest problems with the US smart - the mpgs and the tranny. But know that yours is more polluting, particulates are a big health problem. Yours puts out very little, true, but it’s not ‘some strange reason’ that particulates are heavily regulated.

The BIGGEST problem is THE PRICE! For the money you pay, you can buy a LOT more car that is far more capable of surviving on American roads…For most drivers, fuel economy is not the number one issue…$12,500 is a lot of money to pay for a glorified golf cart that gets 31/45 MPG not 100 MPG on premium fuel…

It's no Volvo, but the car is safer than anything we were driving back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Of course it isn’t a Volvo, last I knew it was a Mercedes

Caddyman

“The BIGGEST problem is THE PRICE! …”

But price isn’t end all be all, what you might not consider as a good value for the dollar, but it may be completely acceptable to someone else. Take lobster, very expensive when compared to Haddock, cod, white fish, and even monk-fish, all of which have been called the poor man’s lobster, and all can be prepared in such a way as to make it almost indistinguishable from lobster, does that mean lobster is a bad value?

Yes the Smart Car is expensive, but if the car is a good fit for the OP, then it very well may be a good value for her. It could be the way you sit in a Smart may make it worth the price. I for example need a car that is easy to get in and out and that let’s me sit upright. My mother-in-law with back problems commented that she didn’t hurt after a day in the car that covered almost 400 mile, just because she was able to sit upright. The car is a good fit for me, if may or may not be a good fit for the OP if it is then it’s worth the price.

"Suggest you look at the…Chevy Aveo?

Yesterday’s tomatoes! Chevy will release the Spark (with the gas engine) Real Soon Now. If you can waif for the 2013 models, it will be out in September or October. 4 seats and better MPG than the Smart. Acceleration is still awful, but what do you expect in a micro-car?

And best of all, it is the true Heir to the Throne - designed and built in Korea at the Daewoo Matiz plant. BTW, it has been a success everywhere else. But 82 HP is really only an impediment to sales in the USA.

@jtsanders - good point, that smart is actually a pretty old design, took years to finally bring it into the US. Car technology advancements have left it far behind.

Seen one yesterday,cute but odd looking,parking is a issue in some places-Kevin

@texases - I was commenting on the Spark, not smart.

@jtsanders - That was my (and your) point, the new Spark is better than the old smart. Several other small cars are doing better than the smart these days.

Chevy Spark?

@texases - I misread your post the first time.

@bscar2 - I’ve only read about it. From what I read, it is under-powered for almost all applications, save city driving. The review in USAToday said he would like it better with a larger engine. But no reviewer in the USA seems to like the micro cars - any of them.

There really aren’t many true micro cars for US reviewers to dislike. Of cars we get in the US, only the Smart and the Scion IQ are tiny by world standards. Of the smallest cars we do get, the Mini, Honda Fit, Mazda2, and the current Rio and Accent get generally positive reviews (in the Mini’s case, in a higher price class) , and the Fiesta and Sonic have had some positive reviews. The Smart, Yaris, Scion xD, IQ, the new Versa, and Fiat 500 don’t get much respect from the automotive press, and having been in all of them I have to agree, unless you’re very small or like spending too much for iffy quality. I don’t expect much from the Spark, either. It looks like the true heir to the Aveo in every way. Most of these cars I could live, but maybe not the Smart. My one ride as a passenger was very unpleasant and I can’t imagine the driver was having a much better time. Maybe he liked the challenge.