Smart Car

Besides Mooseconn,you are not a fool.You can like what you want,its a wonder they didnt make a Hybrid version of the smart car-a little extra weight and a high effiecency gas engine,hard to tell what kind of MPG numbers you could have turned out,have you ever driven one of those? Maybe you are the kind of person that car was designed for,seen somebody driving through this area in one and we are a bit off of the beaten track-Kevin

As others have said, the Smart isn’t a well engineered, well made car. The Scion IQ is almost as small, has a nominal backseat, and is likely to be more reliable. It’s still cramped, rides and handles badly, and won’be very safe in a crash, but will likely be much cheaper to keep running. The Fiat 500 also gets by on nostalgic cuteness. It’s a slow car with a weak transmission; aside from its mechanical deficiencies I rather like the 500. But I never would buy one.

These tiniest cars aren’t much cheaper than the next size up and don’t always get better gas mileage. The longtime champ of the supercompact class in the US is the Honda Fit, a car of many virtues and no major vice. I’d also consider the current Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio. They have a lot of style for cars in this class. They’re not as vast as the Fit, but roomy enough. Of the rest, the current Nissan Versa is built to third-world standards (it is sold all over the world) and is a lot worse than the previous Versa. The Chevy Sonic is attractive and roomy, but is heavily based on Chevy Cruze parts. With Cruze’s reliability so far below average (per CR), and much of the troublesome Cruze drivetrain on the Sonic, I suspect trouble. Given a few gears, Chevy may get these cars srtaightened out. I hope so. I also quite like the cute, simple Mazda2. It doesn’t look swanky or have many extras, bit it’s well made and reportedly fun to drive within its rather modest limits. The Ford Fiesta is the Mazda’s uptown cousin – sleek, pretty, full of optional gadgets, but also surprisingly expensive when you start adding up the extras.

With so many attractive alternatives, the flawed Smart, too slow, with poor handling, a bumpy ride, and limited interior amenities, doesn’t make sense unless you use it for local errands only and have to park on the street. It is just awful at freeway speeds, so not suitable as a weekend excursion car. At least consider some other cars. This category has some good ones. The Mazda seems a lot like the Smart in its simplicity. The Fiat may seem even more so, but it isn’t very good. Have fun. Even if you buy a car you come to dislike, you can always get rid of it lateer.)

The Smart doesn’t have enough space for both and electric engine and an electric motor and battery, so no hybrid is possible without major modifications. A pure electric Smart is made, but is unsuitable for US conditions as it struggles to hit 50. It is strictly for navigating dense city streets.

The problem is no matter if it is running on battery or gas, it has to push all all the stuff needed for both gas or electric power, engine etc. around even if it is not being used.  Just not practical except for a very small piece of the market.

– I would strongly advise both of you taking a test drive, and then form your own opinion(s). –

I drove one last week with my brother, who received a $50 gift card for taking a test drive. On the smart side, it seemed very roomy for two people, three smarts comfortably fit into the space normally taken by two vehicles on the lot, it had kind of a funky front-end style, and it had adequate power for low-speed driving. Mileage is not bad, and the brakes seemed decent. On the not-so-smart side, it felt notably cheap, skittish, and unstable, and rearward visibility was terrible. When it hit a bump, the image that came to mind was a beat up old car with 100,000 miles, misaligned doors, and original shocks. I also remember seeing a video of a smart car in a collision test with a Mercedes, and even though the passenger structure survived pretty well, the car spun around at least twice (bad news for the occupants, no matter how many airbags deployed). I think there are many cars with lower costs and more quality, and I just don’t think you’ll find the endearing non-conformist semi-cult popular image of a Beetle or a Mini (could be wrong here).

My brother heard about a seriously low-cost lease for an electric smart car, but the dealer said because of battery supply problems this vehicle (and lease) have been indefinitely suspended, and an electric vehicle would still have the problems mentioned above.

Your choice, but again, I seriously recommend a test drive. Let us know what you think and good luck.

The only “smart” thing about the SMART CAR is that it takes up only a tiny bit of parking space. Otherwise it gets pretty poor mpg, needs premium fuel, is unsafe on interstate highways, and lacks space for cargo and passengers. What might be “smart” in Europe, is just plain dumb in the USA.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a very short commute, no hiway, and parking at my job is a problem. I will look into the recommended cars. It needs to be small, good gas mileage, and able to go on a hiway in emergency situations only. I’m so glad I logged in, and thanks again. Mooseconn

As an owner of a smart who has put over 10,000 miles in less than 8 months. I can tell you it will fit two people over 6’2". It does require 91 fuel. You won’t notice the “missing” back seat when you’re driving it. Make SURE you have a smart dealer close by. I have taken the car on several long trips with no problems. I would look at the convertible and diesel if I was buying new. The shifting smooths out after you’ve driven a few miles. Parking is a breeze. I get 38 to 40+ mpg while my wife only get 35 to 38 mpg, so don’t expect stellar fuel mileage out of the gas burner. It will top out a 91, that’s when the computer stops you, and you feel glued to the road.

But you need to ask yourself why you want it? As others have pointed out you can get a slightly bigger car for less money, the smart is expensive for it’s size, and other cars have very similar styling. If you can I would rent one for a week or two and live with it for a week or two. I tell that to anyone who’s buying a car, rent one if you can and see how it works out.

Now to be completely fair I like unique cars, I own the ONLY smart car in my town and the nearest dealership is 600 mile away, so I’m on my own for repairs. Also if you buy used odds are you’ll replace the blower fan, a 10 minuet job, there were problems with the blower fans. and I didn’t pay for this one, I won it, but I would have bought it given a chance.

One more thing if there aren’t many Smart cars in your area be ready to answer a lot of questions, it the one thing my wife HATES about the car, people will walk up and ask her a lot of questions. I don’t mind but she does.

One other possible difficulty is resale. Right now they are still funky and cool, at least for some big city residents, but in a few years coolness usually wears off. Then a used Smart will be competing with more useful cars from established brands that can be maintained and repaired inexpensively. The sort of cars some of us have suggested you consider.

I drove a smart car the other day. I was not impressed. It’s possible that the one I drove was not in good shape, but it was a real dog in the acceleration department. Shifts seemed to take too long to take place.

All in all, I’d rather have an Isetta, but I don’t think I can afford one. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A6102&rt=nc&_nkw=isetta&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_sop=3&_sc=1 A kid we were travelling with on a school trip a few years ago spotted a new smart car in traffic. She asked me what it was. Knowing that her dad has a pair of Isettas, I joked that it was the “new Isetta”. She took me seriously and asked if the front opened up.

I drove an Isetta about 35 years ago. Granted, it was a dog too.

Rwee2000,
But you can get this milage on much better cars. The point is this very small car underperforms compared to larger cars in the same mileage class.

euryale1

I pointed out you can get a bigger car for less money. But I have found after talking to other Smart Cars owners they don’t want a car everyone else is driving. It’s kind of like when the beetle first came out, you’re being different not everyone has one. I’ve had people wait in parking lots for me to come back to my car, just to ask questions about it. Like I said I like unique cars. Having lived with the car for 7 going on 8 months now, I find it fits my needs very well, and other then putting seat covers on the seats, it has a light interior color that really shows dirt, it done everything I’ve asked of it. Also I advised the OP to rent one for a week or two before she buys one, it may not be a good fit for her or she my love it. I’m not rah rah about the Smart car, I know it may not be a good fit for her, it is for me and my type of driving. I don’t want or need 500+ hp or a 0 to 60 time in under 4 seconds and I want a car I can sit up in.

All I’m saying is the car is a good fit for me and my experience has been positive, with the exception of the blower motor which took less than 15 minuets to change.

"All I’m saying is the car is a good fit for me and my experience has been positive, with the exception of the blower motor which took less than 15 minuets to change. "

What if the OP doesn’t want a car that requires the mechanic to do a dance multiple times in order to change the blower motor? That requirement just seems so…archaic.

;-))

VDCdriver

The blower motor on the early smart cars had a problem, it’s a well documented problem and I was pointing that out.

Whats archaic about wanting easy access to replace parts? 15 minuets in nothing when changing out a blower motor (I’m betting it took a lot less time than that but that what the shop charged me and it’s their minimum shop time) . The only problem I foresee is some engine work will require the engine to be dropped (4 bolts) to give access to the parts.

One of these might be okay if you only drive in the city and have to park it where parking spaces are hard to come by. Other than that, I just don’t see any advantage. In addition to what others have said, I’d feel like I was riding in an eggshell if I had to drive one of these roller skates on a highway at 70+ with semis and large SUVs all around. To say nothing of inclement weather and high winds.

They were cute when they came out, because they were a novelty. Now they have gone pretty much the way of the PT Cruiser–the fad is over. I think you would get sick of one pretty quick.

rwee–
Apparently you did not get my joke regarding “15 minuets”.
The Minuet was a dance that was popular back in the 17th & 18th Centuries.

Forcing a mechanic to do an archaic dance (the Minuet) while changing a part is…just so unnecessary.

If you take a few minutes to think about my jest, you will probably see what I meant.

;-))

Spell check got me again, I’m dyslexic so I really rely on spell check and it bites me once in a while :slight_smile:

Jeeze. Nobody ever asked her if she could AFFORD an expensive toy. Regardless of whether her hubby thinks her a fool.

If I have the bucks to spare, I want an Exige. Its only redeeming feature is the smile it leaves on your face. But isn;t that the most important thing? Being a fool can be underrated!

“If I have the bucks to spare, I want an Exige.”

Will you fit into one? It would be fun to find out, of course.

Some years back, I was going to buy a used Citicar. This car was a battery powered car. The car was used and was available at a great price. I would not have had much in it even with a new battery pack. I lived 2 miles from my place of work. I was going to meter the amount of electrical power needed to use the car to commute to work. The car also had a propane heater, so I was going to figure in the cost of propane to fire the heater as well. I thought this would be a great comparison to make with a gasoline powered car. Mrs. Triedaq said that she wouldn’t ride in the car and we often rode to work together. To me, the Smart car makes even less sense for commuting than the Citicar.